engine cut out problem

13 replies to this topic
  • southerlin55

Posted October 10, 2008 - 05:27 PM

I have a YZ450F that runs good when it is cold but once it warms up it has no power. i cant seem to figure it out. I changed the gets so there not cloged and its jetted for altitude.

any ideas?

• desert-rat660

Posted October 10, 2008 - 05:59 PM

the engine is actually cutting out?

• southerlin55

Posted October 10, 2008 - 08:00 PM

yea it runs fine when its cold but once it warms up it feels like a bike does when your trying to bump start it down a hill that isnt big enough like it wants to fire but it wont.

• willie517

Posted October 10, 2008 - 09:00 PM

you can make about four laps and it will run all the way through the power band, as soon as it gets warmed up it falls on its face from half throttle to full. southerlin55 posted this tryin to help me out but i finaly got logged in so i can go further into detail

• desert-rat660

Posted October 10, 2008 - 09:14 PM

check the vent hose on the fuel tank, make sure the one way valve isnt plugged. have u checked the valve clearance? if its too tight that would be your problem

• willie517

Posted October 11, 2008 - 07:02 AM

valves were checked a month ago the fuel cap, how would you check that

• desert-rat660

Posted October 11, 2008 - 08:15 AM

you should be able to blow through the the check valve, its a one way valve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2008 - 08:31 AM

What exactly is the jetting?

• willie517

Posted October 11, 2008 - 01:38 PM

third clip and a 165 or a 162 not sure the pilot jet but i have been running this same set up on the same bike same area for three years and it just started a couple weeks ago

• willie517

Posted October 11, 2008 - 01:40 PM

the cap is good its hard to blow through but you can blow in it though

• USED YZ426F

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:57 PM

the cap is good its hard to blow through but you can blow in it though

That doesn't sound quite right to me. I just went to the garage and checked my 426, and my vent check valve on the tank is very easy to blow through in one direction, and very hard in the other.

Is your's the same way? If it isn't working properly, or is installed backwards, it can contribute to fuel starvation.

• grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2008 - 07:44 PM

Air must be able to easily enter the tank. The checks in the vent line and gas cap are designed to allow this, while discouraging fuel from flowing out through the vent. Check to see if yours is working that way.

• willie517

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:12 AM

if you blow on the hose it is difficultif you suck on the hose it is about the same way. would this make a diff if the engine was hot or cold?

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2008 - 07:56 AM

What happens is that the pressure in the tank is somewhat normal when you start out. As fuel is removed, the air pressure drops, causing air to enter to fill the depression. If the air enters more slowly than the vacuum is created, the vacuum will eventually get to a level where it stops the fuel from flowing to the carb.

The sure way to test for this is when the engine is acting up, stop and loosen the cap enough to break the seal. If the engine then runs normally, you have your culprit.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.