Metal Shavings in Filter

5 replies to this topic
  • FriscoKLR

Posted October 09, 2008 - 04:29 PM

I got a bunch of metal shavings in my oil filter. They're aluminum or at least non-magnetic. No shavings in the oil that was drained. None in the valves all spec. No shaving beneath in the timing cover either.

There was a few shavings in the clutch but none of the shavings are either clutch material. Runs great, no noises, any ideas before I pull the basket and look into the bottom end.

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2008 - 07:46 PM

The sudden appearance of large aluminum shavings usually means something was dragged between a rotating assembly and a case somewhere. Could be a number of things.

• yz480doinwork

Posted October 09, 2008 - 07:59 PM

found sand in my oil before:( it roasted my cam chain. all of a sudden my motor just wouldnt turn over. took it apart and the cam chain would hold its form no matter what direction i held it. new cam chain and a few bottles of contact cleaner and i was up and running again. if the shavings are in the filter and there were no small ones in the oil..and its still running of coarse you should be alright.

hey frisco i see your sig says you have a turboed nytro..rock on dude...i got a supercharged apex...cant wait for the snow to build. in fact its snowing out side right now!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ya_nervous

Posted October 09, 2008 - 08:52 PM

ya could be anything. just keep an eye on your next couple oil changes. If it gets worse watch out for engine failure. I would think most likely some piston wear since that is what is most vulnerable

• llamaface

Posted October 10, 2008 - 06:02 AM

Some bikes will start to shave metal off the cases when the cam chain wears enough that the tensioner runs out of adjustment. I personally would try to find out what the problem was now, not just keep riding and hope for the best. If it's the cam chain, and if it gets loose enough to jump a tooth or two, bad things can happen to your wallet.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2008 - 06:17 AM

ya could be anything. just keep an eye on your next couple oil changes. If it gets worse watch out for engine failure.

Not very good advice in this case.

Some bikes will start to shave metal off the cases when the cam chain wears enough that the tensioner runs out of adjustment. I personally would try to find out what the problem was now, not just keep riding and hope for the best.

I agree, the problem needs to be investigated. The chain issue you cite is not at all common to a YZF, however. The most likely cause of something like this in this case is a broken gear tooth or other part that has gotten dragged through the parade of gears in the primary case. Another occasional problem is the bearing retainer screws in the crankcase. These have been known to work loose and will be raked along the crankcase side wall. It could also be a problem with the oil pump.

Whatever it is, don't just let it go.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.