What tires to get for half ton pickup??

17 replies to this topic
  • CTMX

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:48 AM

I need some new tires for my silverado and was wondering what you guys recommend or run?

I don't plan on doing any real offroading just dirt and gravel roads so I don't want a really agressive tread. Looking for something that wears well and doesn't make tons of noise on the highway and does good in the snow.

I saw these tires advertised at pepboys called definity and I've read they are made my cooper so I might check those out, but anyone know anything about them or have any expierence? I'd just rather spend a few more dollars on something brand name but if they're good I'll consider them.

From looking at pictures I'm leaning more towards an AT tread because I think it will do a lot better in the snow than HT without much more noise, sacraficing mileage etc.

I'm looking at the Cooper Discoverer ATR and HT. Bridgestone dueler AT revo, yokohama geolander AT and HT, and Toyo open country AT but I'm open to suggestions:)

• COAL RUN

Posted October 09, 2008 - 07:18 AM

The Cooper Discoverer HT wear well. I like the BFG A/T If you Keep them rotated they will last 50,000 mi. Another to look at is the michelin LTX M/S.
these are not good for much off-road but are smooth riding, make no noise & do great in the snow

• JAMRACING21

Posted October 09, 2008 - 07:26 AM

BFG's cant be beat, but if your on a budget check out the BIG O tires they wear well and are cheap. i have had the big foots on several trucks and have ran them in the ground, you will get about 40,000 out of them

• witdogg

Posted October 09, 2008 - 07:37 AM

Bridgestone Duelers are what I would suggest. They are quit, last a long time, and do decent off road. I've owned many many sets of them through the years and will continue to. :D

• ChanceIt

Posted October 09, 2008 - 08:14 AM

I put new Toyo open country A/T's on my F150, and really like them.

• damone

Posted October 09, 2008 - 08:20 AM

I need some new tires for my silverado and was wondering what you guys recommend or run?

I don't plan on doing any real offroading just dirt and gravel roads so I don't want a really agressive tread. Looking for something that wears well and doesn't make tons of noise on the highway and does good in the snow.

I saw these tires advertised at pepboys called definity and I've read they are made my cooper so I might check those out, but anyone know anything about them or have any expierence? I'd just rather spend a few more dollars on something brand name but if they're good I'll consider them.

From looking at pictures I'm leaning more towards an AT tread because I think it will do a lot better in the snow than HT without much more noise, sacraficing mileage etc.

I'm looking at the Cooper Discoverer ATR and HT. Bridgestone dueler AT revo, yokohama geolander AT and HT, and Toyo open country AT but I'm open to suggestions:)

I put the Toyo Open Country on my F150 and like th eride/noise/traction, but I failed to rotate until almost 10K miles and they have worn quickly because of it. I will be keeping htem rotated now and they shoudl be OK.

Get a load range E tire (not only for towing), they will help with sharp rocks (got two flats on gravel road within 2 miles - that's why I have the Toyo now).

I had a set of the BFG TA, that were awesome. Less aggressive than the AT. Virtually no noise (maybe, but couldn;t hear it over the Powerstroke 7.3L), and hardly any wear in 30K miles.

I liked that tire, but they are pricey.

I hear the Revos are sweet.

• Chickenhauler

Posted October 10, 2008 - 11:11 AM

My father hates lug or loud tread-his PU's "off-road" use is his 1/4 mile gravel driveway.

He had BFG Long Trail T/A's on it, that is until they rotted off, after 12 years and 60k miles...still had good tread left, but they were starting to leak through the sidewalls!

• YzGuy79

Posted October 10, 2008 - 11:45 AM

The Ram I just bought has a new set of Bridgestone Revos. Seem to be a nice tire. Looks good and fairly quiet on the road. But I wouldn't buy them just because of the price. Yikes :D

• Valerie Wilson

Posted October 10, 2008 - 11:51 AM

Another :D :worthy: :ride: for Bridgestone Duelers AT Revos.

Put them on the Excursion when we bought it new and we just bought new ones again 52,000 miles. Wouldn't change them for the world. Great tires, lasted their 50,000 miles. The AT Revos are also a class "E" sidewall rating which mean the sidewalls are thicker, and the tires don't flex as much and are stronger for towing.

The class "E" rating is what makes them more expensive than the regular truck tire. Most are just class "D" ratings.

We paid just over $900 for 4 of them, mounted, balanced and out the door. We just kept our spare as it was hardly used and since we bought the same tires again it still was matching :ride:

• BlackBuzzard

Posted October 11, 2008 - 08:06 AM

Rolling Resitance matters more than I imagined.

Consumers Union got 2.4 mpg better with Goodyear Wrangle SRA allseasons, than with General GrabberAT2 all-terrains - with a Silverado.

And this is with OEM specified tire sizes......not stepping up to bigger rubber.

BB

• mxrider3

Posted October 11, 2008 - 11:34 AM

cooper discoverers are what we run on our dodge mega cab 3500 and we usually get 50,000 miles out of em.

• Farmr123

Posted October 12, 2008 - 03:32 PM

We have had very good luck with Cooper tires.
The best snow tires I ever had for the money were Cooper Wintermasters, and they lasted a LONG time. The Blizzaks are a better snow tire, but more expensive, and wear quickly. The Wintermasters are a 'winter' tire you can leave on all year, but from my experience, they don't have better traction in mud than the average all season radial, and aren't available in extra heavy ply ratings. However, for a good snow tire that wears well, it is hard to beat.

• ChrisKring

Posted October 12, 2008 - 07:25 PM

Rolling Resitance matters more than I imagined.

Consumers Union got 2.4 mpg better with Goodyear Wrangle SRA allseasons, than with General GrabberAT2 all-terrains - with a Silverado.

And this is with OEM specified tire sizes......not stepping up to bigger rubber.

BB

I saw no mileage decrease going to GrabberAT2 from Bridgestone AT Revos.

• rolliew

Posted October 12, 2008 - 09:21 PM

Bridgestone Duelers are what I would suggest. They are quit, last a long time, and do decent off road. I've owned many many sets of them through the years and will continue to. :D

witdogg knows whatsup, i have had the bridgestone dueller a/t revos on my 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks and they are awesome, wear great, super quiet, 10 ply + rugged sidewall, i read a review before purchasing and have been very satisfied with them $900 with mount and balance but worth it to me.

• onac255

Posted October 13, 2008 - 07:08 AM

I gotta vouch for Kumho Road Venture ATs (KL78s) I have them in 285/70/17s on my sierra and they are great.

Can't beat these tires for the price.

• anvilair

Posted October 13, 2008 - 08:04 AM

If you are on a budget it is hard to beat Cooper in my opinion, I have purchased them for several vehicles, trucks and SUV's. They are on my Yukon right now.

If you have a bit more cash to spend, then I 3rd Witt. The duelers are a great tire. They are on my '96 1500 xtra cab silverado.

:worthy:

• Mikek671

Posted October 13, 2008 - 09:48 AM

I have the Definity tires on my 03 Chevy Avalanche at this point, about 20,000 miles on them so far and they are wearing well. Not noisy at speed and I rotate them about every 7.5K, tow my 6K trailer with the rig and so far they have held up fine.
They are the AT series, pretty much looks like a BFG tread pattern.

• Triple B

Posted October 13, 2008 - 10:58 AM

My father hates lug or loud tread-his PU's "off-road" use is his 1/4 mile gravel driveway.

He had BFG Long Trail T/A's on it, that is until they rotted off, after 12 years and 60k miles...still had good tread left, but they were starting to leak through the sidewalls!

Another vote for the long trail TA 5 years and 82k miles on my F150

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.