Why have quads become so popular?

195 replies to this topic
  • William1

Posted October 09, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Quads have become popular because there is a place for the cooler of Iron City and the cup holder does not have to be gimbaled.

• rezrider

Posted October 09, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Two of my neighbors ride quads. Both are smart, nice family men and wonderful neighbors. They both ride them because they like to explore on them with their wives and kids that have no desire to ride gnarly single track or clear the triples at the local MX track. There is nothing wrong with that. It's good family activity and at least they are not bleeding heart environazis.

I don't like single track getting turned into double track, so I think the OHV management bodies just need to have trails that are motorcycle/ATV and motorcycle only.

They deserve to ride just as much as I do. I have no desire to ride an ATV, but at the same time, I have no desire to bash those that enjoy them.

Sure, there are idiots that do stupid crap on an ATV, but it happens with the two wheeler crowd as well. [COLOR="Red"]Idiot isn't limited to just an ATV[/COLOR].

Stupid is as stupid does!!! :D

• shelbycobra

Posted October 09, 2008 - 12:47 PM

yeh i really hate people who bash on quads. all i hear even if someone just posts a picture of a quad everyones like "quadtard" or "atv idiot" or some stupid comment like that. People who say that probably are just saying it to start something or because they think that they are cool. Also most people who say this nonsence probably hasnt ridden a nice quad. I really like riding quads (not utility). its a nice change from dirtbiking. Id like to get a nice banshee one day or a raptor 450.

• Trim450

Posted October 09, 2008 - 12:58 PM

I dont' have a problem with the quad itself, it is some of the stupid people on them I have a problem with. But there are some on bikes too. However I have a classic idiot on a quad story. Few weeks ago my buddy has a kid he works with show up with his Z-400 after he claims how awesome of a rider he is to everyone at work. Well this moron unloads his quad out of his beater truck, fires it up and starts bounching it out the rev limiter to warm it up, then gives us the headbanger hand sign and says "lets f-ing ride" Mind you that his riding gear consisted of work boots, jeans, fox tshirt and no helmet. I just shook my head and headed into the woods. This moron took off ripping thru the field like he was in a GNCC but that was the extent. He hit about 80% of the trees in the woods and rolled the quad 3 times down average hills, that he claimed were bike only hills that are about 10 ft wide. Well after we are done we were coming back to the house he hops on the road, starts banging gears and does a wheelie pulling the front tire about 7 inches off the ground. He pulls up to us and says "you guys check out that sick wheelie I pulled back there?" Needless to say impressed was the last word that came out of my mouth after that comment. :D

• jbrandt

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:07 PM

It just seems like dirtbikers are a dying breed and quads have taken over.

god I hope not!

(Quads are to bikes) like (rollerblades are to skateboarding).... HE HE :D HE lose the training wheels

:worthy: :ride: :ride:

Two of my neighbors ride quads. Both are smart, nice family men and wonderful neighbors. They both ride them because they like to explore on them with their wives and kids that have no desire to ride gnarly single track or clear the triples at the local MX track. There is nothing wrong with that. It's good family activity and at least they are not bleeding heart environazis.

I don't like single track getting turned into double track, so I think the OHV management bodies just need to have trails that are motorcycle/ATV and motorcycle only.

They deserve to ride just as much as I do. I have no desire to ride an ATV, but at the same time, I have no desire to bash those that enjoy them.

Sure, there are idiots that do stupid crap on an ATV, but it happens with the two wheeler crowd as well. Idiot isn't limited to just an ATV.

In all seriousness, you are fully correct. Just because you ride a quad, that doesn't make to retarded. The fact that you are retarded is why you're a dumba$$. I've seen plenty of 2 wheeled morons on the trail too.

Maybe I'm biased, though, but it does seem like I see more of them on quads. Classic example is the guy who drives off his trailer and emidiately starts doing donuts in the staging area.

In the bycycle world, us DH guys would ALWAYS make fun of those ghey BMXers. "Look at your cute little 20's" "Wow, you're bike weighs more than mine, and I have 9" of travel!" "Apparently, BMXers don't know how to cut their hair." "did your mom have to pick you up from the track?" etc... It's all in good fun though. It's only the cry babies that can't take a joke and laugh at themselves who get all butt hurt over it.

In my racing days I've been called lot of things by different groups (raced road, XC, DH, DS, trials). I actually got made fun of by the roadies for NOT shaving my legs!!!:ride:

• llamaface

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:10 PM

Also most people who say this nonsence probably hasnt ridden a nice quad. I really like riding quads

Good point.
:D :worthy: :ride:

• YZ450t

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:20 PM

yeh i really hate people who bash on quads. all i hear even if someone just posts a picture of a quad everyones like "quadtard" or "atv idiot" or some stupid comment like that. People who say that probably are just saying it to start something or because they think that they are cool. Also most people who say this nonsence probably hasnt ridden a nice quad. I really like riding quads (not utility). its a nice change from dirtbiking. Id like to get a nice banshee one day or a raptor 450.

Quads are the most fun you can have on wheels,assuming kids are watching .:D I love to get on a track and beat my self to death nearly on a two wheeler . But put my rear on my Raptor..its another world .:worthy: If ya havent ,you are missing something .

• jbrandt

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:20 PM

thats true, and now that quads are becoming cheaper i see more families hanging out together. from the elderly to the youngest members of families, they are all riding. from couch comfort type quads to the race style. there is a quad that fits each different personality and riding style. thats why they are becoming very popular :D

You will NEVER see my kids on a quad (first). First: bicycle with training wheels, then no training wheels, then a dirtbike... I want them to learn balance and control, and that is simply something you can't teach on a quad. If you don't have to balance, you won't. I have seen far too many kids take corners too fast and roll over on themselves. You dump a bike and it (in most cases) just flops down. A quad will roll over on you. If my kid(s) want a quad after they've learned the basics of balance and control, I'll do two things. Buy them the quad, then dissown them. :worthy:

• zookeeper

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:56 PM

With that kinda outlook, my guess is your kids will deny knowing you long before you have the opportuniy...

• YZ450t

Posted October 09, 2008 - 02:01 PM

You will NEVER see my kids on a quad (first). First: bicycle with training wheels, then no training wheels, then a dirtbike... I want them to learn balance and control, and that is simply something you can't teach on a quad. If you don't have to balance, you won't. I have seen far too many kids take corners too fast and roll over on themselves. You dump a bike and it (in most cases) just flops down. A quad will roll over on you. If my kid(s) want a quad after they've learned the basics of balance and control, I'll do two things. Buy them the quad, then dissown them. :ride:

Actually good point on the view of first bike . I remember the day when ATC's where the off road toy to have ,and got what I feel is a bad rap due to injuries ,and fatals. They look to harmless ,no fear-no respect -no bueno as far as I am concerned . Back in 1980 ,bought a new RM400 and a ATC110 both new ,(never rode a three wheeler till then) Unloaded the new race bike-life was good!!:D unloaded the ATC...45 minutes later on way to ER..pulled both knees where they shouldnt have been (stuck out a foot trying to turn:foul: ) Alas-age is such an experience :worthy:

• llamaface

Posted October 09, 2008 - 02:01 PM

With that kinda outlook, my guess is your kids will deny knowing you long before you have the opportuniy...

Or else say "thanks for the bike dad, can we go riding?"

• tjscott2012

Posted October 09, 2008 - 02:20 PM

i wanted a quad, borrowed my brother's, had tons of fun, got boring on the third day.
thank God i didnt actually buy one.

• briggzie09

Posted October 09, 2008 - 03:27 PM

Can't exactly plow snow, pull trailers and other utility type chores with a bike

I ride both ATV's and Dirtbikes, but I love riding dirtbikes way more...my ATV used to be what I rode on trails, bt now it is only for towing/hauling, etc.

My dirtbike is what I ride everywhere...However the reason why I quoted your post is because one time I got my dad's Wright Stander stuck in a ditch. Well, my ATV wasn't available, so I got a tow strap, hooked it up to the grab handle on the rear side fender of my ttr, and pulled the wright out of the ditch...This is a 10HP 125cc dirtbike pulling out an (around 700-1200 LB) lawn mower...and the ttr had no problem...no wheel spinning, nothing..:worthy: :D

• jut199

Posted October 09, 2008 - 03:40 PM

Quads are ok, but to me they suck compared to riding a dirtbike. Out in the dunes most quad riders get drunk and race up the same hill all day. Hell, even chicks are getting into it more and more. To me that's not a good time.

• FlyingZ06

Posted October 09, 2008 - 03:52 PM

easy. 4 wheels. :D

• Wetbed0

Posted October 09, 2008 - 03:59 PM

Maybe sombody aleady said this but generaly quads are cheaper and mor versetile. IMHO

• YZ450t

Posted October 09, 2008 - 04:10 PM

Maybe sombody aleady said this but generaly quads are cheaper and mor versetile. IMHO

I should have thought about that. I was complaining about this when I bought my 450 two wheeler ..case in point on versitle......Yamaha YZ450F 2 wheeler (red sticker) track or private property ,partial restrictions during the year Thankyou DMV and State of Cal . Yamaha 450 Quad (same engine) Green sticker ,no off limits during the year ,rather than a "season" .

• woodsguy2000

Posted October 09, 2008 - 04:46 PM

Maybe because they are fun? I'm really getting tired of the constant ATV bashing I read here on these forums. It's beginning to be a real turn-off. All I here is quadtard this and stupid ATV rider that, blah blah blah, it's getting old.

Motorcycles are great and forever my ride of choice but that doesn’t mean I'm going to bash or criticize what others choose to ride. My wife and daughter both like quads. Hell I prefer quads in certain circumstances like dune riding.

After 20+ years, ATV technology has finally caught up with MX bikes. Manufactures have realized that they are a more popular product with consumers (it's been that way for a long time) and are now dumping considerable money into ATV R&D and racing. Get over it.

IMO, folks ride quads because it's way easier and makes a lot of noise!

And it's hard not to "bash" them, they are their own worst enemy. It is very, very hard to find a responsible quad rider.

Sorry.

• briggzie09

Posted October 09, 2008 - 04:57 PM

Sport quad riders seem to mainly be morons...there are a few that obvously aren't...From what I have seen 75% of people around me with utility quads are smart/responsible, but there are the few morons who decide to ruin trails, take a Rhino(UTV-I witnessed this event) and take rocks from stone walls/peoples yards.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted October 09, 2008 - 05:03 PM

I grew up riding in the 70's when dirt bikes were more universally accepted and I can’t understand the popularity of quads. The main thing that keeps me riding is you have to be in shape to ride aggressively off-road for any length of time. Nowadays quads are everywhere and when I ride I stay off fire roads and jeep-trails. I try to ride single track only just to avoid them. Is it because we as a country have become less fit and agile that makes riding quads more appealing? I don’t see the point. I don’t see the challenge. Maybe I'm just narrow-minded but I just don’t understand the appeal.

I used to have a quad and a bike. Now I have 2 bikes and no quad. I got rid of it because of debt not because I didn't want it. Have you ever ridden a quad aggresively off road? You have to be in good shape to do that too! Sure if you putt around on one you don't have to be in good shape, but to ride fast, aggresive on all but the single track trails you must be in good shape.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New 2015 KTM 500 EXC 6 days by hedonist222

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Building a Dirt Bike by htimsrolyat

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2013 by Juman5

Yamaha WR450F 2013
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by jasonl20069
  • On July 19, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.