battery problems

3 replies to this topic
  • mxkjk2

Posted October 08, 2008 - 02:35 PM

My battery keeps dying, I don't just mean the voltage drops a little, and it doesn't turn my starter over, but it is either shorting out inside, or a cell is opening up somehow. The battery will work flawlessly for about 3 or 4 long rides, then in the middle of a ride the battery will go from working perfectly to absolutely nothing. when I put a voltmeter on it, the voltage is zero, it isn't just worn out it is dead. If i put a charger on it, the instant I turn it on it says it is charged...but obviously it's not. Every time this happens I have to replace the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:20 PM

Hmmm... I would ordinarily recommend a new battery. They only last a couple of years at best.

Silly question, but are your battery contacts clean and tight. If they are loose, you will get really erratic batter behavior.

Have you hooked up anything to the battery like a dual sport kit or something?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gnarler65

Posted October 09, 2008 - 12:16 AM

My battery keeps dying, I don't just mean the voltage drops a little, and it doesn't turn my starter over, but it is either shorting out inside, or a cell is opening up somehow. The battery will work flawlessly for about 3 or 4 long rides, then in the middle of a ride the battery will go from working perfectly to absolutely nothing. when I put a voltmeter on it, the voltage is zero, it isn't just worn out it is dead. If i put a charger on it, the instant I turn it on it says it is charged...but obviously it's not. Every time this happens I have to replace the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get hold of a service manual , it will clue you up as to whats going on . The type of charger you are using is critical here.

• mxkjk2

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:50 AM

the terminals are clean and tight, I have had the battery tested...it is bad. I have hooked up blinkers and a horn, could that somehow be doing something weird?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.