Polished the header!

84 replies to this topic
  • lowercasee

Posted October 08, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Inspired by the other members who have polished their stock headers, I decided to try it for myself today since I had the day off of work. I picked up some 5-packs of 320, 600, and 1500 wet sandpaper, a wire sheel (3", fine), and some metal polish (Noxon 7). I used the wire wheel to strip off the heavy paint. It came off pretty easily and there was dust everywhere. I tried to keep it even, but it was tough. Since the wheel was fine and not coarse, though, it wasn't too bad.

Once the wire wheel cleaning was done, I moved on to the sand paper game. I laid the sheets out horizontally and cut them into strips about 1/2" to 1" wide. Placed the pipe in the vice with a rag around it so as to not scuff it up and began to sand away. I just held the strips by the ends and kinda "flossed" them around the pipe. It took about 3 sheets worth of sandpaper to do everything.

After I was done with the 320 sandpaper, I air cleaned the pipe, then wiped off any excess dust. Next it was on to the 600 sandpaper for the same process. Then after that, the 1500 sandpaper. The 2 mounts for the heat shield were kinda tricky to get around, but since they're hidden, I didn't really do them perfectly.

Once all of the sanding was done, I just used the Noxon and polished it up by hand. A buffing wheel would've probably made it look even nicer, but I'm happy with the results. The whole process took a few hours, and I think the results are worth the work. Check it out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 97dr650

Posted October 08, 2008 - 01:31 PM

Nicely done:thumbsup: Now ride it hard,will it get discolored/blued?

• LukasM

Posted October 08, 2008 - 01:49 PM

Very nice work!!:lame: :bonk:

I was thinking about doing the same thing with my stocker but it was just rusted everywhere. In the end I coughed up the $$ for the FMF pipe which is nice, but definitely not $150 nicer than yours!

Please let us know how it holds up.

• lowercasee

Posted October 08, 2008 - 02:18 PM

/\ Will do. I only ride street so it won't get the "full" mud workout, but it will still see plenty of action. I'm sure it will discolor a bit and that's fine with me.

• LukasM

Posted October 08, 2008 - 02:31 PM

The discoloring is completely normal, my FMF header color has turned from silver into more of a golden shine now.

The weird stick about my stock "stainless" one is that it was rusted all over, not only in the spots that get dirty when you ride offroad.

You might want to consider a high heat clear coat (Duplicolor makes one) that is good for headers. I used it on my side stand that got a similar wire-brush treatment and it is holding up surprisingly well even though the bike get ridden and parked in any weather.

Posted Image

• lowercasee

Posted October 08, 2008 - 03:20 PM

I think the Duplicolor high heat clear coats only go up to 600 degrees. They have a few 1200 degree paints, but no clear coats that I've found in the local auto stores. No bother though, I'll see how the pipe holds up as is. Maybe I'll borrow a buffing wheel and make it REALLY shine!

• LukasM

Posted October 08, 2008 - 03:30 PM

If you can't find Dupli-color, VHT makes one as well:

http://store.summitr...15&autoview=sku

• lowercasee

Posted October 08, 2008 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll keep it in mind.

• Original_Prankster

Posted October 08, 2008 - 05:54 PM

That looks awesome, it will look even sexier when it turns that nice gold color. I have a Pro-Circuit Header on my DR250 now i wish i woulda just done that :lame:

• boatxr

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:54 PM

do it right:
http://www.performan...ercoatings.html

I think the Duplicolor high heat clear coats only go up to 600 degrees. They have a few 1200 degree paints, but no clear coats that I've found in the local auto stores. No bother though, I'll see how the pipe holds up as is. Maybe I'll borrow a buffing wheel and make it REALLY shine!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumptyDumpty

Posted October 08, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Nice ...always appreciate the low $, high elbow grease mods...( guess which I have more of ) Good work !

• lowercasee

Posted October 09, 2008 - 04:29 AM

Thanks Guys! I rode into work today and the pipe is now starting to get that nice golden hue to it. Looks great! I'll give it a few rides and the post some follow up pics. Seriously, anyone looking for a cheap, easy mod, this is the way to go.

• plugeye

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:03 AM

wd40 often & it'll maybe stay nice & smooth

• texas-dr

Posted October 09, 2008 - 08:31 AM

yep, i use wd-40 very often and it does stay nice and smooth........:D

• macdesign

Posted October 09, 2008 - 12:45 PM

OK then, are we still on the pipe?:worthy:

yep, i use wd-40 very often and it does stay nice and smooth........:D

• BSR-1

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:53 PM

looks GREAT!

• 06crf_er

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:56 PM

OK then, are we still on the pipe?:D

Sure, just a different pipe:busted:

• jmc1583

Posted October 12, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Without a coating on there is it going to rust? You can't really keep polishing it unless you take it off...right? And I think the heat would speed up the rusting process as well. Anyway...I'm just interested to see how it worked out. If its still nice...I might do it too.

• BSR-1

Posted October 12, 2008 - 02:25 PM

Without a coating on there is it going to rust? You can't really keep polishing it unless you take it off...right? And I think the heat would speed up the rusting process as well. Anyway...I'm just interested to see how it worked out. If its still nice...I might do it too.

it's stainless so it won't rust.

• LukasM

Posted October 12, 2008 - 04:16 PM

it's stainless so it won't rust.

Yeah, right. Did you see the picture I posted on the first page?

It know it's supposed to be stainless but all the ones that I have seen that get ridden off road are rusty.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.