Clutch input

11 replies to this topic
  • canyonclimb

Posted October 08, 2008 - 09:05 AM

I have an 04 wr 450. Went to go riding this morning and my clutch would not engage nuetral. Bike started and runs great, but the clutch just won't engage. I tightened the clutch cable and made sure it was working down on the case. cable appears to be working fine. The other thing I noticed is when I pull the clutch in(in first gear), it does release the gear but only slightly. Meaning, the back tire isn't fully locked out, as it does when the clutch is released. I've never had any warning that my clutch was slipping or having any other problems. Any suggestions before I do the old tear down to see if the clutch plates are worn. I am new to this bike, So I thought I would ask before opening the wallet.

• matt4x4

Posted October 08, 2008 - 11:17 AM

the last time something like this came to light on a thread here it was the tip of part #22 that was worn down - you really need to inspect everything though - take the clutch cover off and check your plates for warpage, friction plates for wear and check the tip of the pushrod.

Posted Image

• canyonclimb

Posted October 08, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Ty Matt for the confirmation about the tear down, any chance you have a link to that thread. I couldn't find anything with this similar issue in my thread searches.

• matt4x4

Posted October 09, 2008 - 05:01 AM

I can't find it - pretty sure it was in the YZF forum and should be over 10 pages back (I searched the first 10) - but if you take off the clutch cover it's pretty easy to pull the shaft and see if it's worn down - I think the guy just ended up welding a bead onto the tip and grinding it smooth in order to re extend it to near the right length, one he put it back in and adjusted the cable again it was good.
When I had mine apart - I also noticed about 2 mm gone on mine (mushroomed tip) - I ground the mushroomed perimeter down to make it smooth again, but the 2mm weren't causing any issues - it has to be more that that to affect it.

• mikeythefokker

Posted October 09, 2008 - 04:50 PM

I had a situation on a friends 07 wr450 where the clutch arm (part#23 in the diagram) had somehow come loose and risen up and was therefore not engaging the clutch. It was a quick fix once we found it, however we looked for a long time before we found it. Life is tough when you're dumb.

• canyonclimb

Posted October 10, 2008 - 03:59 AM

HMM, I pulled the clutch cover off this evening. Part #22 looks as if brand new, no visible wear. and part 23 is down as far as it can go. I examined all the plates. no major wear on the plates either. Now I am even more frustrated. Anyone got any more suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz-dwg

Posted October 10, 2008 - 06:10 AM

warped plates??:D

• matt4x4

Posted October 10, 2008 - 08:16 AM

when you have the clutch cover off, operate the clutch and look for the plates moving, it should give you a good idea - where at the lever your clutch engages and might tell you if you need to snug the cable up more to get the clutch working sooner....and yes - check your plates on a glass surface, warped plates bind.

• LILBIT

Posted October 11, 2008 - 05:08 AM

I have an 04 wr 450. Went to go riding this morning and my clutch would not engage nuetral. Bike started and runs great, but the clutch just won't engage. I tightened the clutch cable and made sure it was working down on the case.

Is the clutch cable to tight? You said you tightened it more. This will stop your clutch from engaging-not help it. Loosen the cable and see. If you adjust the cable while riding on a hot engine you have to loosen it back up when the engine cools to normal. If not it will be to tight and slip. There should be some slack in the cable at the lever.

• canyonclimb

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Is the clutch cable to tight? You said you tightened it more. This will stop your clutch from engaging-not help it. Loosen the cable and see. If you adjust the cable while riding on a hot engine you have to loosen it back up when the engine cools to normal. If not it will be to tight and slip. There should be some slack in the cable at the lever.

Hmm, I'll have to give that a try.

• canyonclimb

Posted October 11, 2008 - 06:40 AM

I tried to loosen the cable and had no luck freeing it up. But I did reveal something new. I am thinking it may be warped plates as mentioned in a reply. Correct me if I am wrong. As I mention, the back tire doesn't completely lock out in first gear (with the clutch in). But just as a test, I tried 2nd,3rd,4th,and 5th gear. The back wheel actually releases more and more with each gear (clutch in of course). Clutch out, back tire is locked in every gear. The plates looked fine when I pulled the cover off before, but I only checked the first two plates. Is this a normal phenomenon or does this hold enough water to go back in a check the other plates?

• LILBIT

Posted October 12, 2008 - 06:57 AM

Pull and look at the plates. Quick and easy job. Slightly warped will make alot of drag and it only takes one or two.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.