What do i look for?

8 replies to this topic
  • stoof01

Posted October 08, 2008 - 02:38 AM

Hey guys im looking at buying a 99 YZ400f (selling the cbr and getting into dirt bikes) and i want to know what i should be looking for? I have done a search and found the problem with the thread damage to the lower filter cover bolt and there are the things with all bikes like fork seals, is there anything else thats common on the yz400? :lame:

• Charlie755

Posted October 08, 2008 - 02:59 AM

How much are you paying for the bike? You might be able to find a newer one for close to the same price. Just a thought. If you can while looking at the bike look closely at the suspension in general. Put the bike on a stand and put your chest on the seat reach down and grab the swing arm and pull up and down on it and see how much play is in the suspension. you should have little to no play in it. If the suspension bearings are shot it will run you about $175.00 in parts. I would also take off the seat and look at the air filter and the overall condition of the air box. If its dirty and grungy in there it will tell you a lot about how the last person who owned it took care of it. Lastly pull the oil filter out and see if it has any metal fragments in it. This will give you a good indication of the condition of the internals of the engine.

• stoof01

Posted October 08, 2008 - 03:09 AM

Should get it for $2600-$2700 and if this sounds like lots remember im in Australia so the prices could be higher, from what i can find this is a fair price but i am still doing research. I will make sure i will do all of these things. I am looking for a bike to learn on really as it has been a while since i have ridden a dirt bike

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2008 - 05:51 AM

See what the '01-'02 YZ426 sells for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmoney1074

Posted October 08, 2008 - 11:15 AM

See what the '01-'02 YZ426 sells for.

+1.... the 426 is possibly the hottest motor yamaha has produced to date. Ive been on many makes and models (included yamaha 450's) and the 426 motor just stands out in my opinion. Other one that stood out was the 07 ktm 450... man that thing has a beast of a motor! :lame:

• stoof01

Posted October 08, 2008 - 05:54 PM

From what i can find the 426 are worth any where from $3500 to $4500 but i think i will only get $3500 for my CBR and i still have to buy boots and another helmet and armour and stuff so $$$ is the reason i am looking at this 400. Plus the bike is in town so i don't have to drive a few hours like i would with any of the 426's i can find

• DRZ04

Posted October 08, 2008 - 08:31 PM

There is more general "what to look for" when buying any used dirt bike than specifics by model. If you are buying a used dirt bike, unless you know the seller & know they have taken very good care of it, you better expect to spend money to fix things you cannot see. A good visual inspection and can tell a lot but much could still be hiding.

• stoof01

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:12 AM

I do realise that there are risks and there is lots to look for on all bikes what i was asking was is there anything model specific, like i have a Mazda MX6 and they hav problems with rear brake calipers seizing and also the waterpumps go bad, is there anything like this on the yz400

• dmoney1074

Posted October 09, 2008 - 09:40 AM

Yamahas are undeniable the most reliable steed as far as racing 4 strokes go. The 400 is regarded as rock solid as long as maintenance is kept up. SS valves help extend life of the head as well.
You really can't go wrong... Id say in this Global recession we're in, I would lowball (make a low offer) on any bike that your considering. A lot of people (here at least) are getting rid of all their toys (pretty much anything with a motor)... so its really a buyers market. If he doesn't take the offer, say thank you and move on. Chances are he might contact you later and accept your offer (that's how i got my yz250 for so cheap)!

EDIT*** One thing I have seen a lot with the 400/426 is bent and broken sub-frames. This appears to be a common problem, but fortunately its an easy and cheap fix. I broke two different sub-frames when i owned my 426. They both broke in the same spot (weld on the right side). I have also looked at a few 400's that had the same break. Just something to look out for.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.