2007 WR450 Skid Plate Problem

2 replies to this topic
  • jams229

Posted October 07, 2008 - 05:42 PM

I put a carbon fiber skid plate on my WR last year. Rode last weekend and lost it on the mountain somewhere. :lame: The 2 bolts in the front pulled the 2 plugs out of the 2 frame tabs! (I did not think that was possible.) And the bolt in the back severed off right at the tab.... I know I bottomed pretty good on several rocks, but I have never seen this much damage before. :lol:
I will use an ez out to get the back bolt out, but I am not sure how to fix the front 2 tabs in order to affix another skid plate. The threads on the frame tabs are completely gone! :bonk: Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted October 07, 2008 - 05:53 PM

I put a carbon fiber skid plate on my WR last year. Rode last weekend and lost it on the mountain somewhere. :lame: The 2 bolts in the front pulled the 2 plugs out of the 2 frame tabs! (I did not think that was possible.) And the bolt in the back severed off right at the tab.... I know I bottomed pretty good on several rocks, but I have never seen this much damage before. :lol:
I will use an ez out to get the back bolt out, but I am not sure how to fix the front 2 tabs in order to affix another skid plate. The threads on the frame tabs are completely gone! :bonk: Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

if there is enough left in the front you could just tap out the stripped holes the next size bigger . and use bigger bolts or you could also go with heli-coils

If there is not enough left just weld the holes shut then drill and retap them

• jams229

Posted October 08, 2008 - 01:28 PM

Thanks tweav.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.