wr450 cracked cylinder??? ***

12 replies to this topic
  • Dnard

Posted October 07, 2008 - 04:37 PM

Anyone else crack a cylinder wall in a wr 450? 05 less than 600 miles.
Unbelievable. Put it away for a couple weeks after riding a tight Michigan single track with my son and pull it out to not starting with 50psi of compression due to a cracked cylinder. Mechanic attributes this to not going fast enough to keep air going through radiator. I know I am not the fastest rider in the world especially with the little one riding on me but we are not sloutches either. Regardless this should not of happened and am not happy.
Some $500-600 later my get my bike back before snowfall.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and is there an aftermarket cooling fan you can get.

Signed
'Boiled over in Mich'

• brad the best

Posted October 07, 2008 - 04:45 PM

did you actually overheat the bike ? i have never herd of this happening .

search around for cooling fans , there is a couple options .

• speedaddict372

Posted October 07, 2008 - 04:49 PM

yea that sounds like it got really hot........... a cooling fan sounds like a good idea

• flyer05

Posted October 07, 2008 - 05:26 PM

Where did you ride ? Just want to make sure I'll avoid that trail.
I have been riding the Geels trails, my cabin is right there. Lots of sand.

• tweav

Posted October 07, 2008 - 07:23 PM

I really hate to ask it but are you sure it was full of coolant before you started the ride ? Also you you sure the water pump seals did not fail first and dump your coolant out for you ? I have heard of alot of guys that have had the water pump seals fail including me.

• Dnard

Posted October 08, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Actually right down the road in St Helen's. Sand was packed pretty good with rain the week before though. Great trails when they are like that!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dnard

Posted October 08, 2008 - 05:11 PM

The water pump is what I am checking next, Coolant was full although probably should of changed over to AMSoil like the rest of the world does.
Notices engine boiling over into overflow when I stopped for a break but thought that was normal. That is what an overflow is for. Asked my friends with wr's if this happens to them and they say it is normal but definate reccomend a high grade coolant.

• trailscout

Posted October 08, 2008 - 05:46 PM

if you have problems boiling because of the trails you ride even when your radiator is clean, full, etc, you might want to take a look at evans coolant. it won't boil and it won't cavitate leaving the hottest spots without cooling. takes some thought and reading but i'm sold on it.

http://www.evanscool...com/index2.html

• flyer05

Posted October 13, 2008 - 05:29 PM

Did you get it fixed ? Just rode last weekend in the St.Helen area, had a blast. Man it was warm out. Good luck

• Baja trail Rider

Posted October 13, 2008 - 08:10 PM

We run all coolent no water at all (for the last 20 years) no over heating and it gets hot in baja on ST

• trailscout

Posted October 14, 2008 - 05:07 AM

We run all coolent no water at all (for the last 20 years) no over heating and it gets hot in baja on ST

thanks. that's good to know/hear since i'm a new user. didn't know it had been around that long. do you use evans coolant or a different brand?

• Regalman

Posted October 14, 2008 - 06:10 AM

I have been riding the Geels trails, my cabin is right there. Lots of sand.

Is it just me... or is the south loop way more clapped out from quads this year... seems like a year or two ago it was my favorite haul arse trail... now its nothing but endless whoops. :D

• Baja trail Rider

Posted October 14, 2008 - 07:40 PM

Just coolent from pep boys(not the 50-50 mix) they may run a little hotter but dont boil over or blow up.Not for the last 20 years anyway

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.