Counter shaft seal still leaking

10 replies to this topic
  • Actn 17

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:20 PM

Any suggestions on why after replacing the seal, the collar, and the o-ring the seal on my 04 wr 450 is still leaking?? The shaft seems tight and no lateral play when spinning (would seem bearing is fine). How far in should the seal be?? Flush with the case or in further? I do believe it is in past the taper on the collar, so.... dunno.:lame:

• matt4x4

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:17 AM

Did you put some grease on the oring, seal and collar before putting it all in - it sounds like you pinched a lip on the seal when you put the collar in or the oring is damaged.

Either that - or the collar didn't go in far enough and it's leaking between the collar and shaft, but normally, when you put your sprocket on it should definitely seat the collar properly on the oring.

• William1

Posted October 08, 2008 - 09:12 AM

Seal should be flush with the case.

• matt4x4

Posted October 08, 2008 - 09:13 AM

this just came to mind since you mentioned "taper" - your collar should be put in smooth edge out - the edge with the indents should be inside the seal.

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2008 - 01:28 PM

The question that needs to asked here is, "is the oil coming from the output shaft?" How sure are you that it is the source of the leak, and not the neutral switch cover or the shift shaft?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Actn 17

Posted October 09, 2008 - 03:35 PM

I did put some petroleum jelly (lightly) on th O - Ring and the inside of the seal. Grooved edge of the collar facing the motor. The transmission case is wet above the the shifter shaft and neutral switch.

Now having checked all those things I used brake cleaner to clean the case really good to see just how much is leaking. The other thing is just how sensitive are those seals. If it was not perfectly even all around the shaft would it leak?

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2008 - 05:14 PM

If the seal is tilted, it could leak. If the seal is bent near the lip, that could do it too.

• Actn 17

Posted October 25, 2008 - 10:20 AM

Just workin on the bike now, do the indents on the collar need to align with the oiling holes in the shaft or should they be covered by the collar, or does it matter???

• Frostbite

Posted October 25, 2008 - 03:28 PM

Just a thought - Is your sprocket installed and tightened? When my sprocket nut is loose, oil leaks past the seal. Since you're checking for leaks, maybe the sprocket is not installed yet?

• grayracer513

Posted October 25, 2008 - 05:20 PM

Just workin on the bike now, do the indents on the collar need to align with the oiling holes in the shaft or should they be covered by the collar, or does it matter???

The square cutouts on the inner end of the collar don't need to be oriented in any particular way, but the O-ring does need to be in the groove in the shaft, and as pointed out, the sprocket must be bolted on.

• Actn 17

Posted October 26, 2008 - 12:24 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Thanks for all the help guys.

What happened was the seal was in just a "hair" too far and the inner lip of the seal was over the cut outs in the collar. If anything, I would recommend the seal be just a hair out before being flush with the case, this seemed more in the center of the collar. :lol: :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.