2002 WR426 New Guy Buyers Remorse?

61 replies to this topic
  • Guyver

Posted October 12, 2008 - 05:20 PM

Posted Image

• AFJ7732W

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:15 PM

I have mixed feelings on the subject of appearence od dirtbikes.

I don't mind scratches, as long as they're my scratches.

The best riders usually have the rattiest looking bikes.

That's a good lookin bike. You're going to like that big tank.

• Thunderbug

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:21 PM

If you keep your bike dirty and covered with mud, nobody will ever know that underneath the grunge it's old and all scratched up.

See? Problem solved.

• WR_Dave

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Geez Bill... I thought you were gonna show my bike :worthy: anyway, the '02 has some short comings , but most can be worked out. I still miss the low end pulling power of my '02, it really was a tractor. My '07 turns better and "feels" lighter but for my riding style the gearing ( probably the flywheel weight) is a little lighter than I prefer. If budgeting is your concern just throw on some new plastic and new graphics and keep it washed regularly for that look your craving. I've noticed that when I'm banging through trees I rarely notice the gleam of my "sweet ride" Good Luck with whatever you decide. That bike looks to be in great shape so a set of graphics should fix you up. WR Dave :D

• Guyver

Posted October 12, 2008 - 08:43 PM

Geesh! I just got done putting on all new plastic, and painting/polishing a bunch of parts. I posted a before and after pic. But, you are right about brush crashing, I've done my share on my other bike.

• WR_Dave

Posted October 13, 2008 - 05:29 AM

Sorry Guyver, I was replying to a post on an earlier page and missed the before pic :D the bike looks great. WR Dave

• Guyver

Posted October 13, 2008 - 09:50 AM

No worries Dave; it's all good! I think everyone around here was right. I just put in some effort, a little bit of coin on new plastic and paint and the bike looks great. It's good enough for me anyway. I saved myself a few thousand dollars off the brand new price. I may not have a bike that's just as good as the 450, i don't know. One thing's for sure, this bike is a performance upgrade over my XR400. But, I can't say enough good about the XR. It would climb any hill, crash through bushes, withstand neglect and downright abuse and just keep going. Like someone said, they also never leak a drop of water; a problem my brother just had with his WR. Regards.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 14, 2008 - 06:53 AM

I'll try to post a before and after pic lineup.
PS. To drtbk4ever. I raised the seal savers as you suggested. :ride:

Hey Guyver, they look great now. Having the plastic clamp over top of them will help to keep them tight.

Geez Bill... I thought you were gonna show my bike :worthy: :D

Lol, yeah, I should have tossed up a picture of your bike as an example of a great looking bike that gets ridden. But I couldn't resist that photo of that black beast. For the record, you do have the best looking Canadian bike I've ever seen.

• Yamahondaha

Posted October 14, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hello - I'm brand new here. This site is awesome! I'm overwhelmed right now. I rode an XR400r for about 6 years and loved it. Reliable, almost no maintenance, etc. Kept it as a guest bike. My brother bought a 99 WR400 that had been sitting under a blanket in some guys garage for a ridiculously low price. That bike looked brand new. After riding it, I decided that I needed an upgrade.

I researched as best I could and was going to go with the WR450 (06 or newer) with some modifications to get the bike I really wanted. I almost bought a KTM just because I thought they looked great and I've read good things about them. I didn't get one because of the maintenance requirements I read about here. I ended up settling on an 02 WR426 with all the mods done because it had a plate (I'm in California - that should say alot). I'll post a pic of the bike if I can. The bike runs and performs excellently. It's fun, powerful, the suspension is awesome, etc. The problem is that I don't think it looks hot. It's been ridden, six years old, scratched up a little, etc. My bro thinks I have issues cause it's a dirt bike and I shouldn't care what it looks like. I've noticed that around here tons of people have killer looking bikes; and I'm the type that appreciates things that look good.

Do you think there's anything wrong with wanting to sell my new (old) bike and get a new just for looks sake (and electric start)? Or is it better to keep the bike and just work on it piece by piece to get it looking better?

Guyver - a new guy

PS. I tried to post a picture, but had no luck.

I have owned a few XR400's, a 1999 WR400, a 2002 WR426 and a 2006 WR450 all plated in Ca. I got the WR450 for the E-start but went back to a 426 because I liked it better than any other bike I have ever owned, including my 2006 Husky TE510! I would just buy new fenders and side number plates and some graphics with a seat cover and save a few thousand dollars...

• GCannon

Posted October 14, 2008 - 12:17 PM

I have owned a few XR400's, a 1999 WR400, a 2002 WR426 and a 2006 WR450 all plated in Ca. I got the WR450 for the E-start but went back to a 426 because I liked it better than any other bike I have ever owned, including my 2006 Husky TE510! I would just buy new fenders and side number plates and some graphics with a seat cover and save a few thousand dollars...

You sure are making fee better!!:D :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guyver

Posted October 14, 2008 - 12:46 PM

Nice! What do you guys like about the 426 that makes it better than the 450?

• WVrider20

Posted October 14, 2008 - 02:05 PM

looks good man, very nice

• WR_Dave

Posted October 14, 2008 - 03:44 PM

I personally think the 426 was less prone to stalling in the tight stuff and had better off the bottom power. Both of which would come fom a little heavier flywheel weight, I also think the tranny was better in the 426 and it is certainly alot easier to do carb maintenance on.:D WR Dave.

• Guyver

Posted October 14, 2008 - 05:34 PM

I personally think the 426 was less prone to stalling in the tight stuff and had better off the bottom power. Both of which would come fom a little heavier flywheel weight, I also think the tranny was better in the 426 and it is certainly alot easier to do carb maintenance on.:D WR Dave.

That's cool - I'm liking my decision. I thought the suspension on the 450 was maybe a bit improved - but I love mine. Of course, I've been riding an XR for the last six years. I do like the idea of electric start; but I've heard guys complain that the battery is trash.

One thing I do like about the new 450's besides the aluminum frame is the easy access air box. It takes a little longer to get to and a few tools to maintain the 426. Oh ya, I like the wider pegs too. Have you seen how much they charge for those bad boys? It's crazy.

• Guyver

Posted October 19, 2008 - 07:30 PM

So I just got back from my first "real" bike trip on my WR426. I went to a place called Dove Springs which is high desert in CA, near Mojave. This place is like a dirt biker's heaven.

Anyway, I logged about ten miles on Friday night. Somewhere around 70 on sat, and then 50 today. Elevation from 3000 - about 7000 and back.

The WR426 (with the pipe opened) impressed me quite a bit. I no longer regret not buying a new 450. The reason....when I opened this thing up on Friday I was amazed at the response. Normally when your riding/driving something real fast; going any faster takes time, and distance. Not on the 426! Just when you think you're at the end of the powerband this thing makes a crazy, powerful burst. It's pretty impressive.

I got it up to 91 mph on the dirt and there was still room to spare. I have no doubt that thing would easily climb to 100 in no time. Not that I usually ride that fast mind you. But when your in the desert, on a 3 mile straight stretch of beautiful conditions; it's hard to resist.

PS. One problem I did have with the bike though. After one of those full throttle bursts (about 85 this time) the bike just died. It acted like it was running out of gas. Then it wouldn't start for me. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, tried to start it as usual, it worked. This happend three times today.

• Mosow

Posted October 19, 2008 - 07:53 PM

The 426 power is more than you need, but never had a problem with it dying.

• WR_Dave

Posted October 20, 2008 - 04:04 AM

Make sure your carb and tank vent tubes are all clear and functional. WR Dave

• byggd

Posted October 20, 2008 - 04:21 AM

This might sound simple and I don't mean to insult but make sure the arrow on the one-way valve on the gas cap is pointed tward the tank.

• Guyver

Posted October 20, 2008 - 05:58 AM

There is no way to insult me with mechanic advice! I am a complete rookie at working on bikes. I did buy some tools and started with this one. Man, tools are expensive! I already busted up a knuckle and bled. :D

Thanks for the advice. The other guys in my group gassed up, oiled up, and lubed chains on all the bikes while my other bud and I were making breakfast on Sunday. One of them could have switched the tube around. Thanks for the advice.

PS> I'm going to post a thread on my trip in the General section if anyone wants to read it. Should have it done by tomorrow.

• ridin426blue

Posted May 09, 2011 - 04:55 PM

Just picked up my 2002 WR426 two days ago and i love it. I dont really care how it looks because the harder i ride the harder i fall and it will get scratched. Soap and water makes it look nice
Posted Image
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.