2002 WR426 New Guy Buyers Remorse?

61 replies to this topic
  • Guyver

Posted October 08, 2008 - 07:58 AM

If you really want it to look nice, take everything off over the winter and get the frame powdercoated. With new plastic and graphics, it would be bee-u-tiful.

That's a great idea! It would be summertime for me though, this is the beginning of peak riding season for me. :lame: I like riding best when the weather's cool enough to wear all the gear without sweating like I just came out of the gym. Next weekend I'm heading to a place here called Dove Springs. It's near the Mojave Desert. Daytime summer temps around 112 or so. Should be around 80 and nice next weekend.

PS. Nice bike Matt.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 08, 2008 - 12:44 PM

That's a great idea! It would be summertime for me though, this is the beginning of peak riding season for me. :lame: I like riding best when the weather's cool enough to wear all the gear without sweating like I just came out of the gym. Next weekend I'm heading to a place here called Dove Springs. It's near the Mojave Desert. Daytime summer temps around 112 or so. Should be around 80 and nice next weekend.

PS. Nice bike Matt.

Guyver, don't sweat the looks. You don't want one of those "garage queens", do ya???? Each dent, chip and scratch has a fun story behind it. Besides, nobody really cares.

Get a rekluse and forget about the e-start. Rekluse is cheaper.

Also, you have a plate, so you should be up in big bear where its nice and cool. You can pull in for gas and lunch and then go back out on the trails.

You've got the plate, so ride in places where most people can't ride. I've got a plate on my 450, that's where I like to ride.

• matt4x4

Posted October 09, 2008 - 04:28 AM

Mosow - Moose racing rear fender pack - made it a quick release with clevis pins instead of the typical bolts.
Number was assigned - and yeah - everyone comments, maybe i should have gotten 911 and see what the responses are....guess there's always a wiseass.

bike gets ridden pretty hard on average 4-8 hours a week depending how much light we have left in the evenings - (I have a 9yr old with a severe MX addiction, but it's not a problem, I happily deal with it - hehe).
If you don't lay it down frequently, there's no reason for it to look beat, most that happens is my fenders get those white spots from rocks and roost - and a heatgun is pretty good at getting them close to gone.
My kid did a ground up resto on his KX65 over the winter - he's put about 100 hours on it racing and practicing this summer, aside from a couple of plastics that needed replacing and me redoing the motor bottom end up last week, the bike still looks mint - he's #46. So yeah - a bike can look good for a long time.
Posted Image

• Guyver

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Matt - cool picture. Yeah, I've looked all over for those types of plastics kits with no luck. I guess the WR426 is something of a bastard child now that the 450's have been out for awhile and are here to stay.

I can get stuff in Yamaha blue, but I don't like that color. I went with a UFO front fender for a YZ; should be in today. Got black radiator shrouds from someother dealer, took off the rest of the plastic and started working on it. So far the plastic paint that I bought (couldn't find Krylon fusion anywhere!?) from OSH seems to be working well. I've sanded out the old plastic with 600 grit and I'll go down to 1000 on the rear fender assembly. I've got one more week to get it all back together before a desert run. Probably thrash the whole thing while I'm out there:banghead:

I still can't post pictures here; but I will as soon as I get the priviledge. Regards.

• Guyver

Posted October 09, 2008 - 08:58 AM

OK - nobody told me I have to pay and join up if I wanted to post pics! Typical newbie mistake on my part I guess!

Here's the beast just as I got it from the previous owner. It already had the carb done, stearing dampner, Moose Racing seat/tank combo for a YZ, and the brush guards. I'm working on hottening it up now and will post pics when it's done.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4261.jpg

• Guyver

Posted October 09, 2008 - 09:00 AM

PS. to Matt or anyone. How do I make the pictures appear in the post full size like Matt's up above?

• matt4x4

Posted October 09, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Free www.photobucket.com account - upload pics to there, then just copy the lowest URL under the thumbnail of uploaded pic and paste into the text box where you type here. (use multiple browsers and just jump between them).

You should be able to get:
Black, blue and white plastics for 98 to 2002 wr's from TT's website - I just looked at them today for a friend.

• Guyver

Posted October 09, 2008 - 11:09 AM

Testing the new photobucket account.

Posted Image

The blue beast original.

• matt4x4

Posted October 09, 2008 - 11:15 AM

your bike already looks very trick - already got lots of goodies - some graphics is all it really needs - there's noting bad looking about it if that is how you got it.
You even got fork skins - my wife howled when I put those on her bike and showed her the name!

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 09, 2008 - 12:05 PM

your bike already looks very trick - already got lots of goodies - some graphics is all it really needs - there's noting bad looking about it if that is how you got it.

I agree, that bike looks just fine. Just some graphics on that white tank and your black shrouds and you'll be HOT in no time.

Hey you even have a steering damper on that thing. Nice.

You even got fork skins

Those look like Sealsavers. Personally, I would slide them up the fork tubes a few inches. You don't need them that far down the fork tubes. They look like they go down the tubes far enough to actually restrict the travel of your forks.

Here is a link to their website for some photos.

http://www.sealsavers.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guyver

Posted October 09, 2008 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, I think you're right they may be a little low. Truth be told, I think they're a little worn out. Last time I washed the bike I noticed they moved around real easy. Probably due for a new pair. Anyway, thanks for the props. I'll get her whipped into shape in no time.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 09, 2008 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I think you're right they may be a little low. Truth be told, I think they're a little worn out. Last time I washed the bike I noticed they moved around real easy. Probably due for a new pair. Anyway, thanks for the props. I'll get her whipped into shape in no time.

IF you move them up that may fix the loose fit.

You may also have to get a longer bolt so the white plastic holder (where the plastic fork guards slide up and down through) can fit around the seal savers.

• byggd

Posted October 09, 2008 - 02:17 PM

Testing the new photobucket account.

Posted Image

The blue beast original.

I thought you said it was plated :D Or did I miss something as usual.

• Guyver

Posted October 09, 2008 - 02:30 PM

No, you didn't miss anything. I just took off the plate/blinker assembly because I was going riding and didn't want to thrash the blinkers if I went over. The guy that I bought the bike from had a quick disconnect assembly rigged up because he liked to ride the bike on the track from time to time.

I'm not using it on the street right now. It's just a dirt bike. Here in California, and other places too I've been told; they make you have a plated bike to even ride in the dirt in some places. So if I go to a place like that, I can throw the plate back on in a minute and be legal.

• Bryan

Posted October 10, 2008 - 06:11 AM

Sounds like Paris Hilton: HOT (sorry, I haven't posted in a while, just thought I would check in with some sarcasm).

• byggd

Posted October 10, 2008 - 12:51 PM

I guess the WR426 is something of a bastard child now that the 450's have been out for awhile and are here to stay.

Mainly it's the rear fender that's hard to find. Go with a kit from Acerbis but plug in YZ. You will need to use a different tail light though.

http://www.acerbis.c...ica_yamaha.html

• byggd

Posted October 10, 2008 - 12:59 PM

If you really want it to look nice, take everything off over the winter and get the frame powdercoated

Are you kidding? :worthy: Winter is the BEST time to ride in CA!! Our season has just begun!! :D

• Guyver

Posted October 12, 2008 - 05:11 PM

Here she is....gotter done. All prepped and ready for the desert run next weekend. And with time to spare! Whew. Check it out and tell me what you think.

• Guyver

Posted October 12, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Still trying to get the photobucket thing down.

Posted Image

• Guyver

Posted October 12, 2008 - 05:17 PM

I'll try to post a before and after pic lineup.
PS. To drtbk4ever. I raised the seal savers as you suggested. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.