2002 WR426 New Guy Buyers Remorse?

61 replies to this topic
  • Guyver

Posted October 07, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Hello - I'm brand new here. This site is awesome! I'm overwhelmed right now. I rode an XR400r for about 6 years and loved it. Reliable, almost no maintenance, etc. Kept it as a guest bike. My brother bought a 99 WR400 that had been sitting under a blanket in some guys garage for a ridiculously low price. That bike looked brand new. After riding it, I decided that I needed an upgrade.

I researched as best I could and was going to go with the WR450 (06 or newer) with some modifications to get the bike I really wanted. I almost bought a KTM just because I thought they looked great and I've read good things about them. I didn't get one because of the maintenance requirements I read about here. I ended up settling on an 02 WR426 with all the mods done because it had a plate (I'm in California - that should say alot). I'll post a pic of the bike if I can. The bike runs and performs excellently. It's fun, powerful, the suspension is awesome, etc. The problem is that I don't think it looks hot. It's been ridden, six years old, scratched up a little, etc. My bro thinks I have issues cause it's a dirt bike and I shouldn't care what it looks like. I've noticed that around here tons of people have killer looking bikes; and I'm the type that appreciates things that look good.

Do you think there's anything wrong with wanting to sell my new (old) bike and get a new just for looks sake (and electric start)? Or is it better to keep the bike and just work on it piece by piece to get it looking better?

Guyver - a new guy

PS. I tried to post a picture, but had no luck.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 07, 2008 - 11:51 AM

You're kidding right?

Should you sell a fantastic bike and buy a "hot" looking one... i don't know?

To be honest, I have seen some of the hottest looking machines right here in this WR forum. Find the thread on bike photos, man your jaw will drop. For the price of some graphics and some new plastic you can have an amazing looking bike.

Only you can decide if you want a bike to ride or a bike to show.

• Guyver

Posted October 07, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Good point. I actually felt pretty lame while starting the thread. An ugly beast can still be a kick to ride. Maybe I just spent too much time thinking about it. Still, a nice looking brand new toy is always cool.

Question; I bought a removeable/reusable oil filter for this machine. It doesn't have the proper holes to be usable. Is there any problem with drilling it out myself?

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 07, 2008 - 01:38 PM

You're kidding right?

Should you sell a fantastic bike and buy a "hot" looking one... i don't know?

To be honest, I have seen some of the hottest looking machines right here in this WR forum. Find the thread on bike photos, man your jaw will drop. For the price of some graphics and some new plastic you can have an amazing looking bike.

Only you can decide if you want a bike to ride or a bike to show.

Here is the link to the Sexiest WR out there thread. Have a look. I guarantee you that you can make your bike HOT and get the best of both worlds.

http://www.thumperta...ost your photos

Question; I bought a removeable/reusable oil filter for this machine. It doesn't have the proper holes to be usable. Is there any problem with drilling it out myself?

I don't know the answer to that one. Someone else will step up with a response.

• Guyver

Posted October 07, 2008 - 01:56 PM

Thanks. You're right those are nice. I'm still looking for the other bike pics thread you mentioned. I'm sure I'll find it soon. There's just sooo much here. I realized that I can't post my pics because I'm too new. Maybe after a few posts.....regards.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:18 PM

Thanks. You're right those are nice. I'm still looking for the other bike pics thread you mentioned. I'm sure I'll find it soon. There's just sooo much here. I realized that I can't post my pics because I'm too new. Maybe after a few posts.....regards.

There are a couple other bike picture threads, but in my opinion, most of the hot ones are in the Sexiest thread.

• byggd

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:26 PM

Just break down and buy a new set of plastics, some graphics and keep the blue beast. The 02 is a GREAT bike and the fact that it's plated :lame: :bonk: Here is mine. Not a show bike but like your bro said, "it's a dirt bike"!! :lol:

Posted Image

• 02WR426Cali

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:27 PM

Who cares what it looks like?? Just ride the thing and have fun. It's always fun when you can smoke someone on a hot looking bike with an old beat up bike anyway! I have the same bike, check out my garage, it's not the sexiest but it will git ur dun!

• Guyver

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:27 PM

I'm still not allowed to post images yet. I'll wait and then do a before and after when I get my bike hottenized.

I will say this. I do love the performance and everything about the 426. If I had it to do again, I would have bought the 450. The reason is; the availability of parts! At least aftermarket anyway. You can't find as much for the 426.

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:32 PM

Here is my favourite.

http://s73.photobuck...mgAnch=imgAnch1

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted October 07, 2008 - 02:59 PM

Keep the bike and get some new plastic and other eye candy. I ride a 01 WR426 and its got ugly, beat up plastic all over, but it rips and runs perfectly. I wouldn't sell it for the world but would make it prettier if I had the extra cash.

• Guyver

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:15 PM

That is Smokin Hot! I can see why you like it. Let's face it though, that guy does alot more work than riding! :lame:

• Guyver

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Thanks to everyone replying. What do you think about the stock pipe? I know it's functional, but it looks like an old cannon tube. Is there any reason to upgrade the pipe on a 426? I noticed that FMF had a bolt on part in stainless that's priced pretty reasonably.

• erickdj

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:55 PM

Thanks to everyone replying. What do you think about the stock pipe? I know it's functional, but it looks like an old cannon tube. Is there any reason to upgrade the pipe on a 426? I noticed that FMF had a bolt on part in stainless that's priced pretty reasonably.

I can't speak about the 426 specifically, but I've dealt with a couple of 400's and they do benefit from a better flowing pipe. An aftermarket pipe may not give you many more horses, but it will give you a better power band, smoother and more responsive.

• skintback426

Posted October 07, 2008 - 03:56 PM

You kiddin' me? Buy a new bike just cause the "old" one is scratched up... Well, guess what, if you ride the bike which is what some people do with theirs, it gets scratched up no matter what.

I have an 02 WR426 and it gets the job done very nicely. One of the best things about the 426 is that when someone wants to ride it you tell them if they can start it, then they can ride it. About 1 out of 10 might actually ride it.

• Guyver

Posted October 07, 2008 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. It took my brother awhile to learn how to start his. He still has some kind of vodoo ritual to go through every time we go riding to start his up. It's like you have to clap twice, walk around the bike once, throw a small amount of dirt over your right shoulder while facing away from the sun, blink three times, tap your helmet...then kick it over.

Funny thing is....mine starts on the first kick (usually) even if it's been sitting for a couple weeks - that is if you know how it's done.

I think your sentiments are pretty much the same as everyone else's. A dirt bike is a dirt bike. It's gonna go down from time to time and yeah it's gonna get scratched up. I know you're right. I'll keep it, ride it, work on it and have a good time with it. Still, part of me envys those dudes on the hot looking ktm's cruising around, or the new WR's with the aluminum frame......but hey, at the end of the day I'll have more cash in my wallet and fewer trips to the shop!

• matt4x4

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:11 AM

Doode!!!

My bike looked like an old ass when I got it, a couple of hundred in paint and Decals (you don't even need the paint if you go with UFO frame guards - like I ended up doing too) and it's good as new.

Go ahead and say it looks like an old ass now - well, to some it might, but most love it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• gleaves

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:14 AM

If you really want it to look nice, take everything off over the winter and get the frame powdercoated. With new plastic and graphics, it would be bee-u-tiful.

• Mosow

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:24 AM

Doode!!!

My bike looked like an old ass when I got it, a couple of hundred in paint and Decals (you don't even need the paint if you go with UFO frame guards - like I ended up doing too) and it's good as new.

Go ahead and say it looks like an old ass now - well, to some it might, but most love it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awsome bike, :lame: ,what fender pack is that, any meaning with the numbers or just by chance?

• Mosow

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:27 AM

Hello - I'm brand new here. This site is awesome! I'm overwhelmed right now. I rode an XR400r for about 6 years and loved it. Reliable, almost no maintenance, etc. Kept it as a guest bike. My brother bought a 99 WR400 that had been sitting under a blanket in some guys garage for a ridiculously low price. That bike looked brand new. After riding it, I decided that I needed an upgrade.

I researched as best I could and was going to go with the WR450 (06 or newer) with some modifications to get the bike I really wanted. I almost bought a KTM just because I thought they looked great and I've read good things about them. I didn't get one because of the maintenance requirements I read about here. I ended up settling on an 02 WR426 with all the mods done because it had a plate (I'm in California - that should say alot). I'll post a pic of the bike if I can. The bike runs and performs excellently. It's fun, powerful, the suspension is awesome, etc. The problem is that I don't think it looks hot. It's been ridden, six years old, scratched up a little, etc. My bro thinks I have issues cause it's a dirt bike and I shouldn't care what it looks like. I've noticed that around here tons of people have killer looking bikes; and I'm the type that appreciates things that look good.

Do you think there's anything wrong with wanting to sell my new (old) bike and get a new just for looks sake (and electric start)? Or is it better to keep the bike and just work on it piece by piece to get it looking better?

Guyver - a new guy

PS. I tried to post a picture, but had no luck.

If you ride hard, you will need new plastics every year. Just put mine on this year, need new front fender, head light and one shroud, but I like my bike clean.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.