2006 Air Filter Cage

17 replies to this topic
  • Charles De Mar

Posted October 07, 2008 - 08:58 AM

has anyone replaced the stock filter cage with an aftermarket one? The stock cage has that steel screen in it. Seems like it might be a bit restrictive. I 'm contemplating replacing it with an after market or just removing the metal screen from the stock. Any cautions or suggestions. I'm considering the no toil super flow set up.

• BajaFool

Posted October 07, 2008 - 09:37 AM

The metal screen is there to prevent your motorcycle from burning to the ground, if the engine backfires into the oil impregnated air filter.

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 07, 2008 - 09:41 AM

The metal screen is there to prevent your motorcycle from burning to the ground, if the engine backfires into the oil impregnated air filter.

some air filters claim to have a fire retarding layer in them. This would be important with any new system eh?

SUPER-FLO KIT is a complete replacement for your OEM filter and cage assembly. Included in the Super-Flo Kit is a super-strong, high-density polymer filter cage with no backfire screen that will allow the maximum amount of air to flow freely to the intake. Included, is a top quality, 2-stage, FLAME RESISTANT, foam air filter. The foam is specially treated to resist flames and sparks and will not hold a flame, so this filter won’t burn. We replace that OEM filter cage screw, with the all new No-Toil “Filter Cage Screw Thingy”, that provides maximum holding power with user-friendly ergonomics

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 07, 2008 - 12:10 PM

i highly doubt your going to notice any change in the way your bike runs...but i could be wrong

• SXP

Posted October 07, 2008 - 12:12 PM

The foam filter media is more restrictive then the screen. You are going to see zero gain, and potentially create an unsafe condition in the event of a backfire.

• charliep

Posted October 07, 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have an 05 with the free mods, stock pipe. I race desert a couple times a year and ride alot with my friends. I bike has always run great and as fast as any other.

I cannot imagine the screen would restrict airflow enough to effect perfomance.

charlie

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 07, 2008 - 08:15 PM

Not worth the time.

I don't know why the honda boys make a big deal about "cutting the filter cage screen"...unless hondas have alot denser mesh :lame:

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 08, 2008 - 06:46 AM

I have searched the intronet and find zero incidents of a bike's airbox catching on fire after a backfire:excuseme: What is the point of cutting up the airbox like swiss cheese if you don't do anything to the the cage and filter. I think that screen has to be restrictive. Nobody has done it? All I have gotten is speculation and guesses. Can some one say I have done it it made no difference and my bike looks like a burnt marshmallow.:lame:

• SXP

Posted October 08, 2008 - 07:14 AM

I have searched the intronet and find zero incidents of a bike's airbox catching on fire after a backfire:excuseme: What is the point of cutting up the airbox like swiss cheese if you don't do anything to the the cage and filter. I think that screen has to be restrictive. Nobody has done it? All I have gotten is speculation and guesses. Can some one say I have done it it made no difference and my bike looks like a burnt marshmallow.:lame:

While the possibility of the bike catching fire due to a backfire is slim (but a very real possibility nonetheless), the fact remains that cutting the screen does nothing for performance - the foam filter media is more restrictive then the screen. Have you searched the web? A quick seaarch on TT brought this up:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=347014

or:

http://www.dirtrider...c/164695-1.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Charles De Mar

Posted October 08, 2008 - 07:48 AM

While the possibility of the bike catching fire due to a backfire is slim (but a very real possibility nonetheless), the fact remains that cutting the screen does nothing for performance - the foam filter media is more restrictive then the screen. Have you searched the web? A quick seaarch on TT brought this up:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=347014

or:

http://www.dirtrider...c/164695-1.html

I did see the dirtrider.net thread. I did not see the TT thread. :lame: In my defense i searched for a burning bike as a result of an airbox fire. I think I might pull off the airbox and just slip a pair of the old ladies stalkings over the intake boot. Hooowah:lol:

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2008 - 08:10 AM

The Dyno results posted mirror those done several years ago ('03 or '04, I believe) by the crew that prepped Doug Henry's YZ450 Super Moto ride. They tried a number of different air box configurations, and one of the conclusions they arrived at was that the removal of the anti-backfire screen produced no gain of any kind, either measurable or perceptible.

My own tests have demonstrated that the reason is simply that the filter media is more restrictive than the screen is, as was mentioned earlier. It's just another Black Feather.

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 08, 2008 - 08:34 AM

The Dyno results posted mirror those done several years ago ('03 or '04, I believe) by the crew that prepped Doug Henry's YZ450 Super Moto ride. They tried a number of different air box configurations, and one of the conclusions they arrived at was that the removal of the anti-backfire screen produced no gain of any kind, either measurable or perceptible.

My own tests have demonstrated that the reason is simply that the filter media is more restrictive than the screen is, as was mentioned earlier. It's just another Black Feather.

Thanks for not giving me an infraction about the panty hose comment:bonk:

• NorCal

Posted October 17, 2008 - 08:38 AM

has anyone replaced the stock filter cage with an aftermarket one? The stock cage has that steel screen in it. Seems like it might be a bit restrictive. I 'm contemplating replacing it with an after market or just removing the metal screen from the stock. Any cautions or suggestions. I'm considering the no toil super flow set up.

Do you really want me to answer this question for you?

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 17, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Do you really want me to answer this question for you?

Yes! Did you get the laptop fixed?

• NorCal

Posted October 17, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Yes! Did you get the laptop fixed?

No significant changes to performance according to the dyno testing. I would
suggest you don't take the risk of burning your bike down to the ground and
learning how use more throttle, more often.

My laptop isn't broken, it is just really slow. Slower than usual. :D

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 17, 2008 - 11:49 AM

No significant changes to performance according to the dyno testing. I would
suggest you don't take the risk of burning your bike down to the ground and
learning how use more throttle, more often.

My laptop isn't broken, it is just really slow. Slower than usual. :D

Well if I can't burn it down or send it down a raging river what good is it? The screen is still in. I'm not messing with it.

• squid

Posted October 17, 2008 - 05:49 PM

I removed my screen when I first got my bike haven't had a fire yet.

• SID013

Posted October 19, 2008 - 08:18 AM

I took my screen out 2 years ago & no fire yet..... No perceivable difference in power but the small amount if any would be hidden by the bigger gains of the DRD pipe & the Vortex.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.