Bent Pipe....

8 replies to this topic
  • jasondemitri

Posted October 06, 2008 - 10:54 AM

Hi all, had a rough day yesterday and ended up bending my FMF pipe, to the point that the tire rubs on the inside of the pipe when i compress the suspension. I need some advice on bending it back. I could just reef on it to pull it out, but im worried about it cracking at the welds. I was thinking maybe using a propane torch to heat it up and then bend it. Thoughts? Oh, and bent my radiator and bruised the hell out of my hip and shoulder....thank god for helmets and chest protectors.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted October 06, 2008 - 10:59 AM

My back tire rubs when my suspension is fully compressed, a lot of bikes do that stock. Are you sure you bent it. I mean, if it just barely rubs its fine, but if its clearly bent then I'm not sure the exact procedure for bending one back.

• jasondemitri

Posted October 06, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Oh yea, its clearly bent. I bent it out a little just to limp back to the truck, but it will need a little more tweaking to get it out of the way.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted October 08, 2008 - 01:46 PM

They make a tool specificaly (sp?) for bending subframes and stuff back to normal, I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I bet it would do the job. :lame:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted October 08, 2008 - 07:51 PM

I just used a pry bar and a torch to bend mine so it did not club the rear tire . But mine was not bent it just hit my supermoto rear tire a 160/160/17 . Anyhow I figure out exactly what way I needed to go then heated it while pulling on it gentlely until I got to where I wanted it . you may want to use a bottle of map gas it's hotter then propane. I heated about as hot as I could get it without staying in 1 spot . it was glowing a little but just bearly.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:23 AM

Hi all, had a rough day yesterday and ended up bending my FMF pipe, to the point that the tire rubs on the inside of the pipe when i compress the suspension. I need some advice on bending it back. I could just reef on it to pull it out, but im worried about it cracking at the welds. I was thinking maybe using a propane torch to heat it up and then bend it. Thoughts? Oh, and bent my radiator and bruised the hell out of my hip and shoulder....thank god for helmets and chest protectors.

did you bend the pipe or did you bend the exhaust cannister. Maybe its just the mount.

I bent my exhaust can and did a real ugly job of banging it back into shape. Its a good thing it hides behind the fender.

If its just he pipe/tubing, then take the bike to your local muffler shop. They will fix it for you for about $40 bucks. This would be real simple for them.

Propane would not be nearly hot enough to bend that pipe.

• GCannon

Posted October 09, 2008 - 08:03 AM

I am afraid a propane torch is not going to cut it.
Carefully applied heat from a welding torch combined with a medium amount of force should do the trick. Take your time move the heat around because that is where the bending will happen. don't try and force it all in one place and you should be fine.

• jasondemitri

Posted October 09, 2008 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the tips, i will get it fixed this weekend and post the results.

• mikeythefokker

Posted October 10, 2008 - 01:51 AM

There is a place that advertises in the back of dirt rider and dirt bike magazine that repairs bent 2stroke and 4stroke pipes. They are called Pacific Crest pipe repair, or Pacific Coast pipe repair or something like that. It costs 50 bucks a pipe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.