Roached my motor - Any ideas?

34 replies to this topic
  • tdamore

Posted October 14, 2008 - 05:16 PM

Spoke to Edco yesterday, they are able to fix up my head no problems! Intake cam is fine as well :D They are going through the whole head and fixing the journals for $220 and change. Thats a whole heck of alot better than 7 bills for a new head :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2008 - 06:24 PM

Toldja.

Now look the oiling system over CAREFULLY.

• tdamore

Posted October 19, 2008 - 12:39 AM

After looking at the lubrication diagrams, I am about 85% sure that my oil pump is the culprit here. I pulled it out and noticed some scoring on both sides of the back cover from the rotors. Also, when I rotate the inner rotor there is a small spot of hesitation that takes a little bit of extra force to overcome. I can't imagine that this is correct. I have not had a chance to check the clearances yet, but I am thinking that I should just spend the $130 on a new pump and not have to worry about it. Thoughts?

• TD-3

Posted October 19, 2008 - 04:11 AM

I am thinking that I should just spend the $130 on a new pump and not have to worry about it. Thoughts?

My $.02......Spend the extra money.

When the big end rod bearing seized on my 03 YZ450, I also found minor scoring in the oil pump. So replaced the pump and all o-rings throughout the oiling system. I also made sure the oiling system was completely clean before reassembling. Now is NOT the time to cut corners.
Good luck! :D

• arnego2

Posted October 20, 2008 - 03:18 AM

Hello there
true, if that is the case but if the low end bearing of the connection rod seized is seems unlikely that the Oil pump is the culprit. I believe that the oil pump brings the oil to the valves and sprinkles it on the lower parts of the piston. If the Piston and the valves are oily the pump should have worked OK. The cranks should dip into the oil and lubricate the bearing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards
Arnego2

• btray

Posted October 20, 2008 - 03:21 AM

[quote name='TD-3']My $.02......Spend the extra money.

I have a friend's wr450 tore down for kick starter idler gear replacement and noticed the oil pump had a little rough place when rotated. Took it apart and found nothing wrong...put some oil in it and rotated away from the motor and it didnt have the rough place until the oil drained back out. Maybe that's normal. What do you think Grey?

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2008 - 06:06 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, you're wrong. The oil pump supplies oil directly to:

> The camshafts, via drilled passageways in the crankcase, cylinder, and head.

> The crank pin and big end bearing, by passing oil from the right side crankcase cover to the right crank axle, then through drillways to the pin.

> The transmission shafts, gears, bearings, and clutch, via a set of passageways leading from the crankcase cover, across the crankcase behind the cylinder, to the left side trans bearing pockets, and then down through the shafts.

The cylinder walls receive oil thrown off from the big end bearing, and the mains are lubed by splash and directed drainage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tdamore

Posted October 23, 2008 - 01:48 PM

Ended up ordering a new pump along with a cam chain. Should have the rest of my parts here in a few days and I'll start putting her back together.

Question - what do you guys use for assembly lube? I will be putting all the parts through the parts washer before reassembly so they will be totally clean. Should i just coat everything in motor oil or is there a special lube I should use?

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2008 - 02:43 PM

I just use my normal engine oil for almost everything. The only exception is the cam lobes if I'm installing new cams and lifters, in which case I use a film of moly assembly lube paste.

• gtxkid

Posted October 23, 2008 - 03:26 PM

I was just being nosey and read threw this:
1) I would use the NEW 12:75:1 CP piston. (i love it) Send Wisco back.
2) Do not use anything other than what is recomened by the manua. ( will hurt clutches)
3)I know aftermarket oil filters can be installed backwards. (just some thing to take a close look at.
From Greg

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2008 - 03:53 PM

2) Do not use anything other than what is recomened by the manua. ( will hurt clutches)

Not really. Besides, moly assembly lube IS recommended by the manual.

3)I know aftermarket oil filters can be installed backwards. (just some thing to take a close look at.

Oil filters can only be installed backward if an aftermarket cover is used.

• ogrider650

Posted November 04, 2008 - 02:25 PM

tdamore!!! why dont you learn how to ride!!! then you wont have those seizing problems!!! hahahaha j/k brother
i wont be riding for a couple weeks, i'll send you email on reason.

• tdamore

Posted November 04, 2008 - 09:45 PM

tdamore!!! why dont you learn how to ride!!! then you wont have those seizing problems!!! hahahaha j/k brother
i wont be riding for a couple weeks, i'll send you email on reason.

lol - I can only guess what happened. I am just waiting on my new flywheel and I'll be back in action

• tdamore

Posted December 01, 2008 - 02:42 PM

Took the scoot out for the break-in ride over the weekend and it ran like a top :bonk: I ran it hard making sure to vary the rpm's etc, changed the oil and let it rip for the rest of the weekend. Thanks Gray and everyone else who helped me while I was rebuilding it. No way I could have done it without the shared knowledge :bonk: :bonk:

One question:

1 - How much oil out of the crankcase breather tube is normal? I re-routed the tube back to my airbox and noticed some oil on my swingarm. I checked the oil like 40 times over the weekend and it was always within specs.

I did a search and it seems like a little oil is normal when you run the bike hard but I wasn't bouncing the bike off the rev limiter or anything like that.

In the end, these are the parts that were replaced\added:

New hotrods crank\rod assembly
New Wiseco hi-comp piston
New main bearings
New oil pump assembly
New cam chain
New cylinder
seals\gaskets etc..

Head repaired by Engine Dynamics :bonk:

New 10 oz. flywheel
Acerbis 3.3 Gallon tank (used off of ebay)

• t-bucket nut

Posted December 04, 2008 - 02:09 PM

The head can be repaired, believe it or not. Send it to EDCo

Also, critically examine the entire oiling system.

My neibors 98 yz400f did the same thing, when I got into the bottom end I checked the oil pumps it was in bad shape and to be replaced. i suspect the pump faled while he was rideing and caused the large rod bearing to fail and it all came to a slow halt. Check that pump when you get in there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.