IMS 3.2 Gallon Tank Leaking

11 replies to this topic

Posted October 06, 2008 - 08:49 AM

Has anyone had issues with their IMS tank developing a leak? This is my first experience with them, are they pretty good to work with on quality issues? They indicated if I sent it back they will evaluate it and "pro-rate" some type of exchange for me.
This was purchased for my 2006 YZ450.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• motomark39

Posted October 06, 2008 - 08:54 AM

They replaced one for me no charge, and sent a hat and a sticker pack for my postage. The tank was leaking around a brass insert.:lame:

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2008 - 09:25 AM

I've had no problem with mine.

• WB450

Posted October 06, 2008 - 12:58 PM

No problem here so far.

• mikeythefokker

Posted October 07, 2008 - 11:25 PM

I had an IMS 3.2 gallon tank on my 07wr450(the same tank you're having issues with) for a while and it leaked a bit from around the cap. I ended up just getting a clarke, and I have been much happier with both the fit of the tank, and the fact that it doesn't leak.

• DRZ04

Posted October 08, 2008 - 08:34 PM

I have had 3 and currently have 2 with absolutely no problem. What do you have to loose if you send it to them. Best case they send you a new one. Worst case you still need a tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ktm111

Posted October 14, 2008 - 07:35 AM

I have one on a 2007 WR 450 and while it doesn't leak, the inside of the tank has started to pit out. The holes around the petcock are also starting to chip and flake, leaving little black specks that get into the carb. I even installed an inline fuel filter on this bike and it still is getting through.

Posted October 14, 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

Here is where we wound up - IMS is pro rating this tank with a new swap to the tune of $145, plus I ate $45 to ship it to them. For the $190 I have invested in this, if I had it to do over again I would have bought the Clark tank.
This is the second IMS tank I have had, and both were a very poor mold quality in my opinion, although this is the first leaker.
My brother bought the Clark for his KTM and it is a much nicer tank. Same age and is in much nicer shape.

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2008 - 08:42 AM

At this point, having owned both and currently having one of each, my opinion is that the IMS fits far better, is larger, and the mounting system is better. It clears the engine and the back of the radiators better, too.

The Clarke is a little sleeker on the bike, and has provisions for a right side petcock, although the only way to take advantage of that is to use an '03 petcock and route the hose around the front of the engine.

Complaints:

> The seat is harder to install than it should be with the IMS because the slope of the back of the tank is wrong and the bottom edge of the seat pan runs into it. It does fit without modification. The IMS has no provision for a second petcock.

> The Clarke is a PITA to bolt down because the minimum distance between mounting holes is about 6mm longer than the distance between the mounting points on the bike. It takes two guys, or some clever work with tire levers to get the thing bolted up. Both bikes were like that with either Clarke tank I had.

Neither tank has given me any other problem at all.

• hillclimbguy

Posted October 15, 2008 - 09:16 PM

I have an IMS on my Yamaha and a Clarke on My Honda 250. Both fit good, no leaks but the seal in the gas cap on the Clarke seem to tear. I dont overtighten, but have replaced that seal twice. And the gas cap has broke the vent off. So When I ride with the honda, I carry a spare cap. I bought the Clarke because it was cheaper. In the long run, it is not as good as the IMS.
The IMS on my Yamaha has been trouble free.

• tnl

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:02 PM

Complaints:

> The seat is harder to install than it should be with the IMS because the slope of the back of the tank is wrong and the bottom edge of the seat pan runs into it. It does fit without modification. The IMS has no provision for a second petcock.

No leaks on mine however, both sides of the top of the valve cover has some pretty deep rub marks on it from the tank. I'm gonna have to figure something out because it's getting pretty deep. Almost as though the tank isn't wide enough to clear the head assembly? Maybe I can shim it somehow?

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2008 - 06:45 PM

Yours is an '05, and as such, it takes a completely different tank. I had one of those for my '03, and it did rub right where you say, but the fit of the tank for the '06+ models is much better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.