07 WR450 Trans Failures?

25 replies to this topic
  • timoyz1

Posted October 15, 2008 - 10:41 AM

I wonder if that might have anything to do with it:thinking: Especially if you are not synchronizing the shift and unloading of the motor correctly. It's so easy to get lazy with that little detail. If so, you would be putting a tremendous amount of stress on the shift forks resulting in what you have.

:D

• SXP

Posted October 15, 2008 - 11:47 AM

:D

I wasn't trying to state the obvious. The point I was trying to make is it's user "abuse" and not some percieved weakness in Yamaha's design or quality control, which could be implied or percieved from this thread.

I just don't want to give trolls ammo for Yammi bashing. This is probably one of the most reliable bikes on the market today.

Hope the R&R goes well/quickly, and hope to ride with you sometime soon:ride:

• tweav

Posted October 15, 2008 - 07:46 PM

I wasn't trying to state the obvious. The point I was trying to make is it's user "abuse" and not some percieved weakness in Yamaha's design or quality control, which could be implied or percieved from this thread.

I just don't want to give trolls ammo for Yammi bashing. This is probably one of the most reliable bikes on the market today.

Hope the R&R goes well/quickly, and hope to ride with you sometime soon:ride:

Like you said I don't think it's a bad design ,but that does not change the fact that they do fail sooner or later . Mine's fading fast but it also has quite a few more miles on it then most . I do clutch to shift mine and it's popping out of 2nd and third if I twist the throttle the whole way in either of them . but my has at least 5000 street miles on it now . so can you really blame it? I think not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted October 15, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Like you said I don't think it's a bad design ,but that does not change the fact that they do fail sooner or later . Mine's fading fast but it also has quite a few more miles on it then most . I do clutch to shift mine and it's popping out of 2nd and third if I twist the throttle the whole way in either of them . but my has at least 5000 street miles on it now . so can you really blame it? I think not.

Also, your situation is aggravated by the lack of a cush drive. Tarmac/highway miles without a cush drive hammers the tranny.

• tweav

Posted October 15, 2008 - 09:31 PM

Also, your situation is aggravated by the lack of a cush drive. Tarmac/highway miles without a cush drive hammers the tranny.

That's what I'm thinking , but doy you think it would really hold up much longer even with one . I have a 96 600 ninja , they are known to trash second and third by the time they get to 10000 miles on them and those are designed for the street . I'm just not really sure there is a whole lot that can be done to help . I am going to put in a clutch basket with a small cush in it from rekluse it may help some . I'm doing a whole bunch of stuff during this winter's complete tear down. We are talking about a race built bike holding up for this long is almost unheard of given the amount of abuse it goes thru.....

you know what they say . you got to pay if you want to play.

• AFJ7732W

Posted October 16, 2008 - 10:42 AM

From now on, I'm gunna use my clutch a lot more, and always when on a hard surface.

Bottom line.... How much $$$ in parts and how many hours labor to fix your tranny?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.