05 WR450 Voltage Regulator Interchangeability

5 replies to this topic
  • MarshalGiles

Posted October 04, 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hi, looking for some help regarding a bad voltage regulator on my 05 wr450. I have already confirmed its bad and am looking for a replacement. I'm usually one to go the Ebay route, but can't find any regulators for a WR450. Anyone know of a regulator from another make/model that will fit and work fine or better? There are several on there from the YFZ450 quad, but I'm unsure if they'll work. Can anyone confirm that? Are there any other good sources besides OEM ($60 for a new one sounds a quite steep to me). thanks for your help

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 04, 2008 - 02:41 PM

The YZ unit will not work as it is only an AC regulator. Not sure but I think all the estart WR's 03 - present (250/450) use the same regulator.

• doctorchopper

Posted October 05, 2008 - 08:20 AM

I think 04,05,06 are the same, mine just went as well, found the last one on ebay for 20 usd, well pleased. maybe this guy will post to usa http://cgi.ebay.co.u...ms=tab=Watching, just curios, what were your problems with your voltage reg, i was blowing front and rear bulbs are you having the same problem, my is also a 05 60 usd sounds cheap, my local dealer in ireland quoted me 120 euro, 180 usd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MarshalGiles

Posted October 06, 2008 - 12:27 PM

I think 04,05,06 are the same, mine just went as well, found the last one on ebay for 20 usd, well pleased. maybe this guy will post to usa http://cgi.ebay.co.u...ms=tab=Watching, just curios, what were your problems with your voltage reg, i was blowing front and rear bulbs are you having the same problem, my is also a 05 60 usd sounds cheap, my local dealer in ireland quoted me 120 euro, 180 usd

Thanks for the link. I'll see if he'll ship it to the US. The old regulator was overcharging my battery, so I'm guessing it's the DC side that failed? It was putting out 16 volts sometimes, even below 5000 RPM. I fried two batteries within 120 miles of consistent road-riding. Seems offroad riding won't do it because I'm up and down the rev range so much.

• MarshalGiles

Posted October 06, 2008 - 02:37 PM

How 'bout this? What criteria do I need to compare between the two to find out if the regulators are compatible? Just Stator output and lighting capacity?

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 06, 2008 - 03:19 PM

AC reg needs to be about 80 watts and the DC reg needs to be about 30. Doubt you will find anything other than the oem that will work. The cheapest aftermarket DC only regulator is 40 - $45 and you will have to modify the stator to make it work. Hardly worth it unless you want to run an HID light or something. Your best option is to pony up and buy the oem.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.