Has my headgasket gone?

9 replies to this topic
  • fix

Posted October 04, 2008 - 02:56 AM

Ive owned my wr400 for month but just got it on the road a couple of days ago.

Today ive noticed cream coming out of a pipe which i think is some kind of breather pipe down the left hand side of the bike,my first assumption is the headgasket has gone.

Im not losing any coolant but i know it doesnt always mix with oil when the head gasket fails.

Does anyone else think it will the headgasket thats gone or something else?

Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Alternative

Posted October 04, 2008 - 03:01 AM

Check your oil from the dipstick, if it's normal colour you're fine. A little bit of emulsified oil coming from the breather is normal, oil mist combines with moisture from the atmosphere and creates a lovely creamy looking mixture.

• fix

Posted October 04, 2008 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for the quick reply

Ive checked the oil in th dipstick and its totally fine no cream so i take it everythings ok!

I was worried for a minute it'd be just my luck to buy a bike with head gasked failure!

Cheers :lame:

• Jeepguy381

Posted October 04, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Mine does the same thing when I ride it on the road, I don't notice it when I trail ride though. It is fine!

• creeky

Posted October 04, 2008 - 11:56 AM

My '00 WR400 occasionally does the same thing, as Alternative says, if the oil on the dipstick looks OK, no worry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fix

Posted October 05, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Cheers if everyone elses wr does the same im not worried!

Though ive just changed the oil and am worried about metal filings on the oil filter!!

Theres filings on the filter and what you could practically call wire wool on the gauze at the bottom of the frame :lame:

Not a propper large amount on the filter or gauze but im still worried!

Does anyone know if it could have done damage to the piston etc or will the filter and gauze have stopped it going any further?

Thanks

• doctorchopper

Posted October 05, 2008 - 08:11 AM

my 426 did the same thing with the milky leaks, and always had metal shavings in the oil filter, just change the oil regularly and you will be fine.

• fix

Posted October 05, 2008 - 09:21 AM

No probs thanks i feel better now :lame:

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 05, 2008 - 03:40 PM

it it was a blown hg, the coolant resivour would puke coolant out. that is just normal oil mist mixing with natural water

• matt4x4

Posted October 06, 2008 - 05:18 AM

perfectly normal - the tube warms/cools continually - any humidity and you get creamy drips, no humidity for a week or so and it clears up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.