Speedo trouble

3 replies to this topic
  • soco3594

Posted October 02, 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hey has anyone had trouble with their speedo? I just installed a new speedo on my wr426 and I can't get it working. Ive narrowed the problem down to the actual trip meter gear unit on the wheel. If I disconnect the speedo cable from the unit and turn it by hand it responds so the speedo and cable are fine, there's just no information from the gear unit.

I would have thought this would be a fairly simple mechanism. Are they prone to failing or am I missing something/what should I look for?

Cheers

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 03, 2008 - 05:20 AM

One of the guys that I ride with had a simular problem. I turns out that the ring gear that runs off of the wheel was slipping on the shaft. Take the wheel off and check the drive gear. It is just a press fit and some times they will loosen up.
Jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • soco3594

Posted October 03, 2008 - 04:25 PM

Thanks mate. I talked to my mechanic yesterday and he said the same thing so ill pull it apart and check it out

• doctorchopper

Posted October 05, 2008 - 08:30 AM

the speedo drives on the wr's are fairly pricey so if it is shot, id recomend a trailtech, not the endurance but the vapour, i found the the endurance were no waterproof and i went through 3 before switching to the vapour, first 2 were warranty

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.