• Guy Peyton

Posted October 02, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Picked up a 99' WR for $1000. Couldn't be happier!:lame:

• skisnh

Posted October 02, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Congrats...and enjoy your new ride:ride:

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 02, 2008 - 05:39 PM

enjoy...i LOVE my bike....let the questions start!! do the free mods!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dustdogg

Posted October 02, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Lets see some pics!!!!!!!!

• Guy Peyton

Posted October 03, 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yeah I will have to try and get some pics up. I am just having fun learining about the new bike. I have been riding an xr400 for years which I will always still enjoy but I like the the WR real well. I am still trying to figure out the free mods. But I will get there!

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 05, 2008 - 03:30 PM

i can help...just did them.

shorten the throttle stop....the amount can be found my searching.

on the right side of the gas tank, remove the grey wire from the 2-wire connector that also includes a black...leave the black connected and tape up the grey end

remove airbox lid

remove exhaust insert or get a pipe

move exhaust cam one tooth right(search for more info)

• Yamahondaha

Posted October 05, 2008 - 07:19 PM

Picked up a 99' WR for $1000. Couldn't be happier!:lame:

I feel ya man. I too was a very happy man but I didn't stop there, I spend a ton of money only to come full circle.

I once found a 99 YZ400 for $700 that only needed a throttle plate in the carburetor (cracked), $50 later I had a parts carb with good plate and my 99 YZ came to life...

I sold the YZ400 and replaced it with two brand new bikes. Bike one was a 2006 WR450 ($6,300 OTD) and bike two is a 2006 street legal Husqvarna TE510 ($8,000 OTD).

I bought my husky and the 06 WR for the electric start but when you get down to it starting is only 1% of the ride. If you are young and able don't ever trade a kick only bike that you love for an E-start bike...

I sold the 06 WR450 and got a 2002 street legal WR426. I feel it is the most awesome bike ever made, all that is good about the 99 YZ400 but with more low end. I also have a YZ seat and tank on it (gets you more forward over the tank)

Just remember that the WR400 can be rebuilt into a 426 by switching the crank, piston, cylinder and crank drive gears (transmission gears are another matter). I don't feel the WR450 had as much low end grunt as the WR426 and I know it has less of a red line RPM (11,500 vs 13,500)

I still miss my $700 99 YZ400 but the 02 426 is a happy compromise...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.