1998 Wr 400

6 replies to this topic
  • SoCA_DRZ

Posted October 02, 2008 - 12:32 PM

I have a chance to get a WR 400 as a trade for a bike in my garage that doesn't get ridden anymore. Anything I should know about this year model? Good? Bad? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• dmckinno

Posted October 09, 2008 - 11:17 AM

I have the 1998. It is essentially the same as the later 400f models, but the hot start is octupused, the rear rotor is smaller, and the axels are a different size. As far as I know, everything else is exactly the same. I have a friend who has a 2000 and, between us, we've torn both our bikes all the way down and have not noticed any real differences.

• matt4x4

Posted October 09, 2008 - 11:28 AM

Even though it's THE first real WR, it's still a great bike - still many being flogged daily!

FCR carb - first gen - plate likes to chip and suck through motor.
Solid though - and if you get it - it WILL get ridden.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kjr247

Posted October 09, 2008 - 06:52 PM

I have a '99 and I am sure it is similar. No issues for me at all. I've beat it down and drowned it and it still runs awesome. Get it and ride it hard. They can take it. The XR of modern bikes IMO. KJR.

• ncampion

Posted October 11, 2008 - 09:35 AM

My 89' has a zillion miles on it with no problems (other than the afore mentioned carb slide problem). Probably the most reliable WR to date. Go for it.

• freeriders98

Posted October 11, 2008 - 07:29 PM

I've got a 98 and love it. My only complaint would be the smaller axle, would be nice just to have more options to swap out. Just a question what are people doing to fix the carb problem? And how can I tell if I still have the stock one?

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted November 01, 2008 - 04:03 PM

i just got my 98 WR from my dad. it runs like a champ other than after it sat for about 6months we had to go and get the carborrator cleaned because it wudnt idle w/o choke on. but we got it cleaned and took it out i rode it it was really nice, alot of power. its a hell of a bike IMO

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.