What to put in a tool kit for an 03 wr450

13 replies to this topic
  • knuckleduster271

Posted October 01, 2008 - 05:20 PM

I have an 03 wr450 street tard. I ride the bike alot and Im wanting to put together a basic tool kit for my occasional long rides in case of emergency. What should I include? So far I have a 10mm combo wrench, a 12mm combo wrench, phillips/regular combo driver, a shortwell 27mm socket [rear axle nut] and a spark plug wrench. What are the most common tools you use on your wr's?

• WR450FGreg

Posted October 01, 2008 - 05:47 PM

I'm sure I found a thread on this here in the forum somewhere that had heaps of suggestions in this regard.

Can't recall where it was though.
Do a search for "toolkit" or something.

Greg

• knuckleduster271

Posted October 01, 2008 - 06:05 PM

I did, found nothing related specifically to a wr450. Found alot of in "general" tool kits but I like to travel light and want just what I need to take mine apart, not a one size fits all kit. I did find some useful info on some of those threads but it wasnt precisly what I was asking.

• lilyamaharacer9

Posted October 01, 2008 - 06:11 PM

I would also add a 8mm combo wrench along with a spare 10mm and a allen wrench the size of your bar mount bolts, oh and also a small led flashlight for those just incase moments.With those tools you should be able to do all of your basic stuff that needs adjusted, or fixed on the way.

• RedBull420

Posted October 01, 2008 - 09:13 PM

Some options here... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=355610

Best way to figure out what you need is work on you bike @ home with only your 'trail tool kit'.

• tweav

Posted October 02, 2008 - 07:36 PM

have a dmx tool kit from cruz tools . I have the fender mount one . I've found that I've only added a few things to it but I do use just it most of the time I work on my wr . I kind of surprised out much of the bike will come apart with just this kit. I think I payed 90 bucks or so for it from the TT store . http://www.cruztools...lkits 2007.html

• dazzabb

Posted October 02, 2008 - 08:15 PM

Ty-wraps
Spare split link for chain,
I like to carry mini-vise grips, might seem OTT but have helped really often,
Thin screwdriver to adjust damping clickers without moving the bars

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • doctorchopper

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:06 AM

you need a 10mm socket and ratchet to get the seat off, tank would be hard to get off without a 6" extension unless you took the rad scoops of and for that you need a 8mm socket, i carry a spare plug, masterlink, leatherman, lockwire(safetywire) clutch lever and perch, brake lever, set of allen keys, lighter

• drtbk4ever

Posted October 03, 2008 - 10:43 AM

have a dmx tool kit from cruz tools . I have the fender mount one . I've found that I've only added a few things to it but I do use just it most of the time I work on my wr . I kind of surprised out much of the bike will come apart with just this kit. I think I payed 90 bucks or so for it from the TT store . http://www.cruztools...lkits 2007.html

Hey Tweav, That looks like nice comprehensive kit.

I assume it is meant for the rear fender. It appears to attach via straps, does it slide around at all? Get in the way? (I am vertically challenged so already have a hard time swinging my leg over the back end of the bike.)

• yz-dwg

Posted October 03, 2008 - 12:52 PM

Some options here... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=355610

Best way to figure out what you need is work on you bike @ home with only your 'trail tool kit'.

Brilliant, I will try this.....

• tweav

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:29 PM

Hey Tweav, That looks like nice comprehensive kit.

I assume it is meant for the rear fender. It appears to attach via straps, does it slide around at all? Get in the way? (I am vertically challenged so already have a hard time swinging my leg over the back end of the bike.)

it is meant to have the pad with the velcro and straps bolted to the rear fender then the bag set on top of the pad and the straps wrapped around it .

http://www.cruztools.com/DMX2Mount.pdf

I don't use it like that I strap it to my rack .here's an old pic of my bike with it strapped down. I did add a few things to the kit , a moose tire repair kit a flip set of allen wrenches and a motion pro spark plug wrench.

As far as being kind of short I am too I just get on the bike by grabbing the clutch with my left hand then step up onto the left peg with my left foot then quickly swing my right leg over the bike and to the ground on a tip toe. then I fire the bike up and flip up the kick stand.

Posted Image

• c9buff

Posted October 04, 2008 - 05:09 PM

Hey Weav,

That's a nice looking rack, where did you find it?

buff

• tweav

Posted October 04, 2008 - 05:31 PM

it's from www.Promotobillet.com

• JAYBIRDNLV

Posted October 05, 2008 - 08:31 AM

I also have the same Cruz kit. I took out the stock tire irons and added the Motion pro tire irons with the box ends.. one to fit the rear axle and one to fit the front.. Works great. And as another guy posted.. Work on your bike with only your tool pouch kit and you will figure it out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.