- - - - -

Dynatek igniton/CDI report

• Please sign in to reply

17 replies to this topic
  • Fullbore4

TT Bronze Member

355 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:06 PM

Anyone else using the new Dynatek ignition? This ignition has only been out for WR450's a few months. In fact the dynatek techs struggle with any info on it so I decided to let others know what I have found on my 06 WR450. The DFS7-27P (03-06 WR450 model) is a drop in unit and I got mine for less than $300 through TT store with a birthday coupon. It has 4 curves each programmable and selectable through a switch that I have mounted behind my front number plate. This switch can be zip tied onto the throttle cables or anywhere to make it a little more accessible. It is not made to be swithed "on the fly" like the Vortex X10. You just have to make sure that the harness isn't in the way of turning the front wheel in its full range of motion.

Headsup: This unit can be programmed to any degree of advance and therefore can potentially destroy an engine if care is not taken.

The 4 curves it comes with are: #1 perfomance enhanced curve with moderate to high advance timing, #2 high performance with a great deal of advance to yeild the most horse power for a typical bike (I suppose for the countless configurations of bikes out there, a person could get more power yet but I'm not brave enough to go beyond the advance given with this curve), #3 Traction curve with lesser advanced timing (with this curve there is absolutely no infamous WR sputter) #4 Stock WR curve with the grey wire mod built in. It can be programmed with any curve for any riding style.

A seperately sold programming kit DFSPK-1 can be bought for about $80. Long story but I have a new, extra one that hasn't been used for sale in the classifieds. The most up to date software and instructions can be downloaded through the Dynatek web site.

I have calibrated the TPS using the software so that the ignition kicks into WOT mode at 68% throttle opening. I have reprogrammed curves 1 and 4 with the following. #1 now yeilds output which at part throttle (PT), it uses PT curve #3 and for over 68% throttle openning it uses the WOT advance of curve #2. In essence my bike now runs on curve 1 with the best of both worlds - no WR sputter at low throttle yet high performace for WOT. Curve 4 now has low advance purely for technical low speed traction. Any of the Vortex curves can be emulated if the curves were known but I haven't seen them published anywhere yet.

It is a high quality unit. I've had a Vortex X10 but I like this much better.

• tweav

TT Gold Member

1,123 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:36 PM

Yes I one on my 07 wr450 . I have not reprogramed mine. why do you have an extra programing cord?

• Thumper_Bloke

TT Silver Member

671 posts

Posted October 01, 2008 - 08:18 AM

Yes! I have one on my '04. I have been using it this summer and like it alot. I like the datalog download feature, shows a bargraph of time spent in each rpm range. I also like how smooth the revlimiter is!

• Fullbore4

TT Bronze Member

355 posts

Posted October 01, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Yes I one on my 07 wr450 . I have not reprogramed mine. why do you have an extra programing cord?

I ordered one for $80 from a store but in the mean time, my buddy let me use his and sorta sold it to me. Then the one I ordered came so its still in the box and I don't want to pay restocking fee. I will ship it to the USA for $75 via paypal or other. I will ship overseas for cost of shipping.

• drtbk4ever

TT Bronze Member

378 posts

Posted October 01, 2008 - 11:32 AM

I have calibrated the TPS using the software so that the ignition kicks into WOT mode at 68% throttle opening. I have reprogrammed curves 1 and 4 with the following. #1 now yeilds output which at part throttle (PT), it uses PT curve #3 and for over 68% throttle openning it uses the WOT advance of curve #2. In essence my bike now runs on curve 1 with the best of both worlds - no WR sputter at low throttle yet high performace for WOT.

Did you have to recalibrate the TPS in order to get your "reprogrammed" curve #1 to do what you want?

I'm thinking I want one of these just to lose the WR Sputter at constant low throttle cruising.

• Fullbore4

TT Bronze Member

355 posts

Posted October 01, 2008 - 12:20 PM

The bike will run without calibrating the TPS, usng the dynatek igniton but TPS voltage output is different for each bike......some are .78 Volts closed and 4.2 at full throttle.....another bike may be 3.75 V at full throttle. The software allows you calibrate exact voltage at closed throttle and also at WOT and then you can pick what percentage you want to have the curves switch from "Part Throttle" to "WOT". It pretty cool once you see how it works. dynatek started with street bike and sport bike applications so they even have outputs for say Nitro boost if you had that on your bike. Take a look at the software which is free from their site. I am interested to find out what the Vortex X10 curves look like if anyone has access.

• tweav

TT Gold Member

1,123 posts

Posted October 01, 2008 - 05:06 PM

I whole reason I got this cdi was because I also got a nitrous kit to put on my wr . I was thinking I could use a custom curve and rpm activated switches in this cdi.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00983.jpg

• tweav

TT Gold Member

1,123 posts

Posted October 01, 2008 - 07:19 PM

Did the curve maker program have your bike or did you have to start from scratch ? The newest wr450 in the program I can see is a 2003 . Can you send me a copy of your curve file ? I'd really like to see it.

• Fullbore4

TT Bronze Member

355 posts

Posted October 01, 2008 - 07:30 PM

Did the curve maker program have your bike or did you have to start from scratch ? The newest wr450 in the program I can see is a 2003 . Can you send me a copy of your curve file ? I'd really like to see it.

I used the 03WR450 curves on the version 3.1 curvemaker program which are also for the 06. I send you my curves promptly.

• Thumper_Bloke

TT Silver Member

671 posts

Posted October 02, 2008 - 09:58 AM

I'd like to see the curve you designed too! I can PM you my email address.

As for the model year, its the same CurveMaker program for 2003+ WR's. And so the program name is 2003 WR.

• sledfreak76

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted October 06, 2010 - 06:14 PM

hey all, just chiming in that i installed a dynatek on my 05 wr450 last week and love it! stutter is gone, has more tunable horsepower, i even noticed smoother quicker starting! also my tps was off, nearly 1 volt, calibrated easily, and made a difference too. this black box rocks!

• GlennR

TT Bronze Member

487 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Anymore folks running the dynatek? I have an 08' that stutters bad. I hate having to spend $300, but sure want to get it running right.

• MaxPower

TT Platinum Member

1,742 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think 300 is cheap for what it does
Just having an extra 300 is the issue

• paulsince72

TT Newbie

5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 31, 2013 - 05:18 AM

I just got the Dynatek,  about to install it this morning.  Can anyone tell me if they left the TPS Connected? ( Ive been running my TPS Disconnected)

Thanks

2004 WR450

• paulsince72

TT Newbie

5 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 31, 2013 - 07:31 AM

HI Everyone!  Quick update to my last post...

My new Dynatek just installed and it was an immediate difference.  The bike WANTED to start,  as before I had to hold the magic button down for a bit to get er to kick over.

Taking it for a test spin, the stutter is completely gone,  Definitely worth the money,, Still, too bad this black box doesn't come stock.

Dynatek Setting 3

TPS Connected

Jetting is stock for my Canadian Bike ( i live at 6300 feet in Colorado )

Stock Exhaust

2004 WR450

• Jagmanwr450

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Well after reading your sucess story i ordered one back box dynatek style because I have had nothing but issues and have tried everything else.  Fingers xed Thank you for the HOPE!  BTW Im at 6k ft in CO as well and have the 03wr450.  Will give an update. 

Did you figure out if the TPS is left hooked up or not?? What is best or just trial and error??

Thanks

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 11, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Using the Dynatek you should also purchase the USB tuner interface

This way you can properly set your TPS automatically using your laptop. It takes about 15 seconds to do it.

Remember to drop your slide all the way to the bottom ( so it would have no idle) when you do the closed throttle test.

You can also modify the provided curves in a matter of seconds.

I advance my #3 curve 1 degree, and put the TPS transition up in a higher rpm.

• zackmeuth

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 06:58 AM

Anyone else using the new Dynatek ignition? This ignition has only been out for WR450's a few months. In fact the dynatek techs struggle with any info on it so I decided to let others know what I have found on my 06 WR450. The DFS7-27P (03-06 WR450 model) is a drop in unit and I got mine for less than $300 through TT store with a birthday coupon. It has 4 curves each programmable and selectable through a switch that I have mounted behind my front number plate. This switch can be zip tied onto the throttle cables or anywhere to make it a little more accessible. It is not made to be swithed "on the fly" like the Vortex X10. You just have to make sure that the harness isn't in the way of turning the front wheel in its full range of motion.

Headsup: This unit can be programmed to any degree of advance and therefore can potentially destroy an engine if care is not taken.

The 4 curves it comes with are: #1 perfomance enhanced curve with moderate to high advance timing, #2 high performance with a great deal of advance to yeild the most horse power for a typical bike (I suppose for the countless configurations of bikes out there, a person could get more power yet but I'm not brave enough to go beyond the advance given with this curve), #3 Traction curve with lesser advanced timing (with this curve there is absolutely no infamous WR sputter) #4 Stock WR curve with the grey wire mod built in. It can be programmed with any curve for any riding style.

A seperately sold programming kit DFSPK-1 can be bought for about $80. Long story but I have a new, extra one that hasn't been used for sale in the classifieds. The most up to date software and instructions can be downloaded through the Dynatek web site.

I have calibrated the TPS using the software so that the ignition kicks into WOT mode at 68% throttle opening. I have reprogrammed curves 1 and 4 with the following. #1 now yeilds output which at part throttle (PT), it uses PT curve #3 and for over 68% throttle openning it uses the WOT advance of curve #2. In essence my bike now runs on curve 1 with the best of both worlds - no WR sputter at low throttle yet high performace for WOT. Curve 4 now has low advance purely for technical low speed traction. Any of the Vortex curves can be emulated if the curves were known but I haven't seen them published anywhere yet.

It is a high quality unit. I've had a Vortex X10 but I like this much better.

Is there any way you could send me the file to your custom configuration? I know this is reaaalllly late (8 years) but figured it might be worth a shot. I just picked up the ignition yesterday and your configuration sounds like exactly what I am trying to achieve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.