Baja Design Switch

9 replies to this topic
  • Guirey

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:17 AM

I have a 06 WR450 that I installed a Baja Design DS kit, I have gone through 2 of the multi function switches. The problem I am having is with the hi/low button not working all the time. Sometimes I really have to **ck with it to get it to switch. I thought maybe the first switch was bad so I bought another one and get the same issues. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what is the work around?

Thanks

• roushxteam199

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:28 AM

i have not had that problem yet. try wd 40 maybe

• Charles De Mar

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:24 AM

I have a 06 WR450 that I installed a Baja Design DS kit, I have gone through 2 of the multi function switches. The problem I am having is with the hi/low button not working all the time. Sometimes I really have to **ck with it to get it to switch. I thought maybe the first switch was bad so I bought another one and get the same issues. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what is the work around?

Thanks

yes i have had the same problem as you. I'm considering a KTM switch or maybe even a wr250x switch. I just haven't had the chance to look into them. you can get other switches.

• tweav

Posted September 30, 2008 - 01:49 PM

I've had the same thing . one time it was bad solder joints on the hi/lo switch itself . the other time it was dirt in the switch ,just shot it with some connact cleaner

• mjslim

Posted September 30, 2008 - 07:50 PM

I have a Baja Designs DS kit on my '03. Assuming you have the same switch, the problem is simply the quality of the switch itself. Mine packs full of dust that just accumulates over time from normal trail riding. You have to clean them periodically as they are not a sealed design. You would think BD would choose a switch that is suited for the intended use, i.e. a ruggedized sealed unit impervious to dirt and water. It's not like they don't exist (watercraft applications, outdoor industrial equipment, etc.).
As is often the case, they came up with a great idea, but their execution was compromised due to their choice of cheesy hardware components. It's really a shame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guirey

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:11 PM

thanks for the replies, I guess I need to start hunting down a switch that can take off road riding. I don't mind a few extra bucks for something that will work correctly, BD sould take a look and have it redesigned, although I sure they are just buying from a 3rd party instead of having thier own made.

• Charles De Mar

Posted October 01, 2008 - 06:59 AM

http://www.thumperta...ns switch wr450

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted October 02, 2008 - 12:48 PM

thanks for the replies, I guess I need to start hunting down a switch that can take off road riding. I don't mind a few extra bucks for something that will work correctly, BD sould take a look and have it redesigned, although I sure they are just buying from a 3rd party instead of having thier own made.

Their first generation switches had some major issues....
- Ball bearing rolling on flat soldered contact would wear it thin, and break
- slide switch wouldn't take a hit from body or ??, when crashed.
..etc.

We just had one go bad this weekend, and had to push a zip-tie into the slide portion for it to make "on" contact. Otherwise the bike wouldn't start.

They've come out with a sturdier design if I remember right... have you checked with them (or did I miss that part)?

• Thaulass

Posted October 04, 2008 - 05:11 PM

I had the same problem with the orig. BD switch, melted between the headlite and parking lite connection inside. Bought a new unit and wiring harness and was told that they are not made overseas a.k.a. china, but from Spain. My Bultacos have better switches.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted October 04, 2008 - 09:45 PM

Had same problems with BD junk.Better luck to buy your parts from PEP BOYS

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.