Intake Cam profile question 03 YZ450

2 replies to this topic
  • shortburb

Posted September 29, 2008 - 08:27 PM

Iv been having some hard starting issues lately and havent checked the valves in a while and all my intakes are tight...No biggie Ill get some shims tomorrow...

While checking valves I noticed all 3 intake lobes on the cam (look like they) engage at 3 different times...the lobes are 'twisted' slightly in relation to each other. The bike runs great and makes power but to me having all 3 valves open simultaneously would create a deeper vacuum for more fuel....

Know what I mean?

Is this how it is or has my cam somehow 'twisted'? The cam is in great shape not a mark on it no heat marks that I can see...nothing...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2008 - 09:13 PM

The outer lobes are aligned with each other, and the center lobe is rotated slightly to compensate for the fact that the center valve enters the head at a slightly different angle than the other two.

• shortburb

Posted September 30, 2008 - 06:19 AM

Thank You

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.