Going to Moab

14 replies to this topic
  • foxomatica

Posted September 29, 2008 - 05:11 PM

Some friends and I are heading to Moab mid October. I have all the free mods done and no a.i.s. Is that going to be a problem with this green sticker red sticker thing. We are from BC Canada so pardon lack of knowledge on this subject. Any other things we should know would be greatly appreciated!!

Fox

• Maddeh

Posted September 29, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Green sticker / red sticker I think is CA only, you won't get any grief in Moab. Have fun.

• foxomatica

Posted September 29, 2008 - 05:24 PM

Thanks

• kawi380

Posted September 30, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I live in utah and ride at moab regularly. Just make sure you have a spark arrestor and the bike is registered. No worries and enjoy!

• trailhead2004

Posted September 30, 2008 - 02:15 PM

Green sticker / red sticker I think is CA only, you won't get any grief in Moab. Have fun.

Here in Cali we also have a temporary out of state OHV registration. Do you have anything like that in Utah?

As it turns out it worked out well for one of my friends. He's from Reno and bought another friend's red sticker bike. He's around for a few months so he went to the local shop and picked up the out of state permit for $18 I think, and he can ride all year long, no red sticker BS.

That's what made me think to ask about an out of state sticker or reg.

Thanks,

trailhead2004

• erickdj

Posted September 30, 2008 - 03:18 PM

Here in Cali we also have a temporary out of state OHV registration. Do you have anything like that in Utah?

As it turns out it worked out well for one of my friends. He's from Reno and bought another friend's red sticker bike. He's around for a few months so he went to the local shop and picked up the out of state permit for $18 I think, and he can ride all year long, no red sticker BS.

That's what made me think to ask about an out of state sticker or reg.

Thanks,

trailhead2004

Chances are you would get caught doing that. Show up to ride at the same place more than once, car/truck with CA plates, CA driver's licence.... The out of state registration wouldn't help you very long. Just like having a car with plates from out of sate, sooner or later you get questioned about it.

• foxomatica

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:34 PM

Just make sure you have a spark arrestor and the bike is registered.

What kind of registration do you need? In BC we just buy and ride.

Fox

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foxomatica

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:37 PM

By "buy and ride" I mean buy a dirt bike and go riding. No one is required to have registration... at least not yet.

Fox

• trailhead2004

Posted October 01, 2008 - 07:07 AM

Chances are you would get caught doing that. Show up to ride at the same place more than once, car/truck with CA plates, CA driver's licence.... The out of state registration wouldn't help you very long. Just like having a car with plates from out of sate, sooner or later you get questioned about it.

Let's review :lame:

I said he is here from Reno for a few months. While I didn't state it, that means he has a Nevada License and Registration, and the bike he bought is also now registered in Nevada.

While he probably would eventually have problems with his on-road vehicle registration here in CA if some cop kept seeing him around for months at a time, that would never happen with the motorcycle thing. As long as he is a resident of Nevada, he could ride his Nevada registered dirtbike in California every day. As long as he paid his fee and has the out of state OHV sticker on his bike.

Class is now over. :bonk:

trailhead2004

• kawi380

Posted October 01, 2008 - 07:23 AM

check out the following link:

http://stateparks.ut...gistration.html

• STECKNINE

Posted October 01, 2008 - 07:38 AM

I live in Reno as well and, with a 20$ green sticker I can ride any where in CA as long as I have a sparky! Reno is right on the border of CA so I can ride to Cali right from my house. No need to register your bike in Nevada ether.

• foxomatica

Posted October 01, 2008 - 07:46 AM

Thanks Kawi 380. Exactly what I needed to know.

On an other note, what kind of tires are you typically running? We ride mostly gnarly mountainous single track with lots of roods and ruts. I am running a Bridgestone M402 rear and a Michelin M12 up front.

Fox

• kawi380

Posted October 03, 2008 - 05:28 AM

Thanks Kawi 380. Exactly what I needed to know.

On an other note, what kind of tires are you typically running? We ride mostly gnarly mountainous single track with lots of roods and ruts. I am running a Bridgestone M402 rear and a Michelin M12 up front.

Fox

I almost always use Maxxis maxxcross IT rear and M12 front. I ride both mountain and desert. I think you should do just fine with your tire selection. Wish I could go with you but don't have the time right now.

• foxomatica

Posted October 03, 2008 - 08:50 PM

That's too bad. Thanks for all the help. We are going to be there the 13th to the 17th. Can't wait.

Fox

• yammerman

Posted October 05, 2008 - 08:53 AM

You may want to look at this thread re: tires in the Moab area:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=690285

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.