Need quiet aftermarket exhaust

13 replies to this topic
  • Tacojedbob

Posted September 29, 2008 - 11:10 AM

We just moved to a small residential community where motorcyles are not even allowed :lame: I have a plated 1998 400 wr with a FMF powercore IV that is way to damn loud, does not give the greatest first impression to the new neighbors.
What is the quietest aftermarket exhuast for my bike? I dont want to put a stock pipe on because the carb is already jetted for an aftermarket exhuast. I am looking to replace from the header to tailpipe...whatever it takes to let me ride this bike through my new community without be exiled

• Deserthound

Posted September 29, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I like the FMF Q4 slip on. It's pretty quiet with good power gains from stock. Only slightly louder than my stock pipe with PMB insert. I haven't got the evil eye from any of my neighbors since I put it on.:lame:

• off_road_4_me

Posted September 29, 2008 - 11:26 AM

what about an fmf q?

• waterman7474

Posted September 29, 2008 - 11:32 AM

I like the FMF Q4 slip on. It's pretty quiet with good power gains from stock. Only slightly louder than my stock pipe with PMB insert. I haven't got the evil eye from any of my neighbors since I put it on.:lame:

ditto
i just put one of these on and honestly, i hear the motor more than the pipe at idle.

i had a factory 4 on it and it was STOOPID loud, so this may be relative but it's pretty quiet. i did knock down the power a little but that is totally ok with me as it was an animal before and that was the intent.

• cpr1

Posted September 29, 2008 - 11:51 AM

I live in a quiet development, and the neighbors were giving me the evil eye everytime I fired up my WR450 with my FMF Power Core 4. I switched over to the FMF Q4 and now everybody's happy.:lame:

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 29, 2008 - 12:34 PM

I have a fmf header with 08 yz exh it is quiet for me

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 30, 2008 - 07:51 AM

We just moved to a small residential community where motorcyles are not even allowed :bonk:

Is it an HOA? Sometimes I don't get how them bastids could get away with all of the "home owner oppressive" policies that they do.

Keep rockin that WR though. The worst thing you can do is give into their crap :lame:

BTW a stock WR muffler of that vintage with a GTYR or PMB insert would likely be your best bet without killing the power completely!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:05 AM

Is it an HOA? Sometimes I don't get how them bastids could get away with all of the "home owner oppressive" policies that they do.

Last year I lived at a place with a "HOA", they were a pain in the @$$. They would complain about every little thing they could think of. They only get away with their BS when you give in or pay any attention to them. I told my parents to ignore them completely, they don't "own" the house where we lived, So why would they have any say in what we do within the property limits? It's just stupid. They also sent letters to our landlord, but she knew that we were good tenants and took very good care of her house, so she ignored them as well. We left that house after one year of being there, the landlord lady vacated a huge house she had just bought and rented it to us for dirt cheap, because she knew that we would take care of it. Now I'm in a MUCH better neighborhood and there's no HOA, much more peaceful. Everyone minds their own business and stays away from others business. There's in fact a couple of people on my street that enjoy off road sports, once in a while we test our bikes down the street and nobody gets all butt hurt about it.

Back on topic, the stock pipe with a PMB insert or something similar should keep the noise down pretty good, but some re-jetting might be required.

• Regalman

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:27 AM

I told my parents to ignore them completely, they don't "own" the house where we lived, So why would they have any say in what we do within the property limits?

Well, since you were renting, you are correct they had very little control of you as an individual. However, had they chosen to go after the landlord with fines and such it could have gotten really nasty.

Typically, HOA's do have control of 'your' property. It's built into the contracts when you buy the property.

Telling your parents to ignore them, when in fact you don't even understand the concept isn't very smart. You're just lucky that the HOA decided to ignore you and not go after the landlord because it would have most certainly trickled back down to you in a not nice way.

If you care to educate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia....ers_association

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 30, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Yup no HOA's here either.

The mello roos are a bitch though :lame:

• erickdj

Posted September 30, 2008 - 02:17 PM

Well, since you were renting, you are correct they had very little control of you as an individual. However, had they chosen to go after the landlord with fines and such it could have gotten really nasty.

Typically, HOA's do have control of 'your' property. It's built into the contracts when you buy the property.

Telling your parents to ignore them, when in fact you don't even understand the concept isn't very smart. You're just lucky that the HOA decided to ignore you and not go after the landlord because it would have most certainly trickled back down to you in a not nice way.

If you care to educate yourself:

http://en.wikipedia....ers_association

Well, they can keep their HOA all they want, I say F-them. In my opinion it's a stupid concept to buy a house in a place like that, you never really "own" it, since you're not free to do with it as you please. When I buy something, I expect to have ABSOLUTE control over it. I can understand the concept being a little more rational in the case of condominiums and gated communities that offer private roads, parks/recreation areas, pool, gym, etc... This place that I mentioned had nothing of that sort, it looked like any other neighborhood, there weren't any "advantages" to having that HOA, they did nothing but annoy the people living there. If I ever buy a house in California or anywhere else for that matter, I'll make sure to stay away form these "HOA's". I'd probably buy something outside of city limits, out in the country, so I don't have a bunch of neighbors f-ing with me.

• Tacojedbob

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:27 PM

Keep rockin that WR though. The worst thing you can do is give into their crap :lame:

BTW a stock WR muffler of that vintage with a GTYR or PMB insert would likely be your best bet without killing the power completely!

I guess the community is considered an HOA, never heard of "home owner association" till you mentioned it. My parents decided to move from CT to escape the encroaching influx of self righteous yuppies. Unfortunately, where they settled in NH was an older community of vacationers that have nothing better to do than create there own government. Almost even worse than our old neighborhood. I would tell em to shove it, but my parents have to live with these people for the rest of their lives most likely.

I will look into the FMF Q4, thanks for the input guys!

• Regalman

Posted October 01, 2008 - 03:22 AM

Well, they can keep their HOA all they want, I say F-them ... there weren't any "advantages" to having that HOA, they did nothing but annoy the people living there.

If you are sitting at the poker table and you can't see the fish at the table, then there is a pretty good chance you're the fish. Same case here.

HOA's are designed so that a few bad seeds can't ruin the 'community'... they do it mostly to keep housing values up. For the people who think their poo doesn't stink, its a great concept. They enact 'laws' to keep the community free of what they consider blight. Be it your run down vehicle, the way you look, or the way you keep your lawn.

I would never live in a HOA... because quite frankly I'm more white trash than anything else.

• Demo_Slug

Posted October 01, 2008 - 09:33 AM

leo vince X3 is plenty quite. 94db.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.