Got my unabikers installed this weekend.

14 replies to this topic
  • Regalman

Posted September 29, 2008 - 04:41 AM

Man, what a time consuming operation that was. I wouldn't say it was 'hard' but a couple of those bolts were a pain in the rear to get started. I don't know how many of the bolts I dropped and had to search for. I think my big fat hands were the biggest problem, I guess I should have invited a nice little blonde over... I'm sure it would have been much easier for her on a couple of those. Plus it would have made the post ride much more enjoyable. :lame:

If I ever had to do it again, I'd buy a couple more allen wrenches, one really long one and one that I could grind up real short. That would have made things go much better.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 29, 2008 - 06:00 AM

My 06 WR installed really easy...then i bought and xr650r and those were a pain in the butt....and my latest install was on my 08 WR and all though it was easier than the xr it was harder than the 06 wr install!

but like you said a nice blone would have been nice:ride:

• wartsnuff

Posted September 30, 2008 - 09:41 AM

they were a little confusing for me.

but i got them on, still tho don't like the scooping angle of them

i had a small wimpy tip over and it cut into the ground bending the rad back..

i believe if i didnt have the rad guards on, there would have been no damage.

my 02 cents worth

cheers
Warts

• erickdj

Posted October 01, 2008 - 07:48 AM

they were a little confusing for me.

but i got them on, still tho don't like the scooping angle of them

i had a small wimpy tip over and it cut into the ground bending the rad back..

i believe if i didnt have the rad guards on, there would have been no damage.

my 02 cents worth

cheers
Warts

Interesting you say that, my WR has sustained lots of abuse from my dad, including some nasty get offs and the guards have done their job every time in perfect fashion. A little over a month ago he crashed on a paved forest fire road, the guards and rads are still in their original shape. :lame:

• tribalbc

Posted October 01, 2008 - 08:30 AM

Interesting you say that, my WR has sustained lots of abuse from my dad, including some nasty get offs and the guards have done their job every time in perfect fashion. A little over a month ago he crashed on a paved forest fire road, the guards and rads are still in their original shape. :lame:

Mine have taken serious abuse as well . Boulders, stumps, etc. I've broken a rad shroud on a good impact on a stump and they're still 100% straight. Not to mention the sticks, rocks and mud it keeps out of my rad :lol:

I have nothing but good things to say about theses guards. The only downfall is the weight of the bolt kit. There's alot of hardware in there.
Too bad titanium bolts are so expensive :bonk:

• wartsnuff

Posted October 01, 2008 - 09:25 AM

i would think on a hard packed service they cannot bite in...

if the forward edge was angle'd away rather than to cut into...

i think it would be much better....

i do think the grates do a better job of stopping debris from hitting the rad and allowing enough air flow to cool the bike!

cheers
Warts

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 01, 2008 - 09:47 AM

Damn!

Next time I see your pops I'm just gonna call him bike abuser:eek:

:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted October 01, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Damn!

Next time I see your pops I'm just gonna call him bike abuser:eek:

:

Yeah, no kidding. Seems like almost every time I let him use my bike he does something to it. I can't even number all the times the rad guards and hand guards have saved my bike from serious damage. A couple of times he hasn't been that lucky though, one time he dislocated his right arm while riding it in Hollister, he banged up his head pretty bad riding at Coulterville, and not that long ago he hurt his left shoulder riding near Hull Creek. :bonk: I think I'll just let him stick to the kx250 smoker. :lame:

• Regalman

Posted October 01, 2008 - 11:37 AM

Hell, man, just be glad he is out riding... I wish I could say the same.

• erickdj

Posted October 01, 2008 - 12:22 PM

Hell, man, just be glad he is out riding... I wish I could say the same.

Absolutely, I don't mind the bike abuse, it's all in good fun. I let him ride my bikes any day, I am really happy that he's out riding and having a hell of a time. A couple years ago when he showed interest in riding I bought him a little 125 bike to learn on, after that I bought him a yz400f, and now he's up to a kx250 smoker. He's all happy to have his kx tricked out with Monster graphics, last sunday he got a new Monster helmet, the guy is all into it. :bonk: :lame:

• Regalman

Posted October 01, 2008 - 12:51 PM

I guess its my thread... I can take it off course.

Luckily my dad got us into riding. I can't thank him enough for that. When we were young he would occasionally ride with us aroudn the farm.

I tried to get him on my DRZ and the WR but he is old enough to know better... we did however get him to give my brothers Crossfire a nice spirited high speed run about a year back... that put a nice smile on the old mans face. He may have had some quick muscle cars back in the day, but I know he never got into the 140's in em.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 01, 2008 - 02:51 PM

I tried to get him on my DRZ and the WR but he is old enough to know better... we did however get him to give my brothers Crossfire a nice spirited high speed run about a year back... that put a nice smile on the old mans face. He may have had some quick muscle cars back in the day, but I know he never got into the 140's in em.

Thats awesome

My dad isn't that old (46) but he's had lingering back problems. I told him hes welcome to ride the WR whenever he wants...It'd be interesting to see what he thinks of the power if/when he takes me up on it.

• erickdj

Posted October 01, 2008 - 04:10 PM

Thats awesome

My dad isn't that old (46) but he's had lingering back problems. I told him hes welcome to ride the WR whenever he wants...It'd be interesting to see what he thinks of the power if/when he takes me up on it.

he will be kicking your arse for getting him to hop on that death machine...:bonk: :lame:

• erickdj

Posted October 01, 2008 - 04:13 PM

Thats awesome

By the way, I'm planning a ride to EF on saturday 10/11/08. There's supposed to be at least a couple of light showers by the hills between now and then, in case you're interested. We're going on a mission to find the famous hole. I've got my map on hand and the "clues" to the treasure. I'm ready to find it!

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 01, 2008 - 05:56 PM

I'll keep ya posted Erick. This weekend would have been a bust anyways because I haven't gotten a chance to buy sprocket bolts yet. (long story)

My dad would do fine. Hes got the basics down and the fact that he is in "health preservation" mode would keep him from getting throttle happy. He ain't 18 anymore.

In a futile attempt to keep this thread on topic, I have unabikers and I like them. If a bike equipped with unabikers were to tumble down a 1000' cliff at least you know the radiators would still be straight :lame:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.