`07 headlight questions

7 replies to this topic
  • Enduro Chris

Posted September 28, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hi,
just got me a `07 WR450F headlight from ebay. Looks great on my `04 WR250F.

I noticed the following points
- the light itself has a plastic cover. The old ´04 version was glass.
- the light doesn´t carry any homolagtion imprints like CE or E.. and won´t be street legal in germany because of this. The `04 headlight has the imprints.

Does my description fit the ´07 WR headlights as sold in the US or did I buy a copy? Here is the item I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.de/m...oQQcmdZViewItem

The price at Yamaha Germany is sky high.. Where can I order the Yamaha original in the US?

Regards,
Chris

• Deserthound

Posted September 28, 2008 - 07:10 PM

That headlight looks exactly like my stock 07 WR450 light. Mine has a plastic lens without any markings as well. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the unit you bought is an OEM part.

• Enduro Chris

Posted September 28, 2008 - 07:29 PM

That headlight looks exactly like my stock 07 WR450 light. Mine has a plastic lens without any markings as well. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the unit you bought is an OEM part.

Thanks. The quality of the headlight and cables is good so OEM seems possible.

But why would Yamaha produce lights that are not street legal in the EU and the US. Which features does the headlight need to be street legal in the US?

• Deserthound

Posted September 28, 2008 - 07:46 PM

These bikes are sold as "Off Highway Only" in the US so I guess they don't feel the need to put a whole lot into the headlight. The light needs to be dual beam (High/Low) to be street legal here but, beleive me, thats the least of our worries trying to get our bikes plated to ride on the street in California.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Alternative

Posted September 29, 2008 - 05:47 AM

The street legal headlight Yamaha use on the European, Aussie and NZ 07+ WR450s is different from the US one. It looks similar but has a slightly larger lens and reflector and is certified for road use.

• Enduro Chris

Posted September 29, 2008 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for your replies.

What is better i.e. more durable - plastic or glass headlight? Seems as if Kawasaki also uses plastic on the KLX.

• b13

Posted September 29, 2008 - 08:02 AM

My french 2007 wrf 250 doesn't have that little screw on the bottom which the one in the picture does. Mine is road legal number plated and insure if thats any help.

• Enduro Chris

Posted September 29, 2008 - 08:36 AM

My french 2007 wrf 250 doesn't have that little screw on the bottom which the one in the picture does. Mine is road legal number plated and insure if thats any help.

Are there numbers printed in the glass? Like E11 or something...

Is the glass made of real glass or is it just plastic?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.