I want more low end response

9 replies to this topic
  • motocross_rockstr

Posted September 28, 2008 - 11:38 AM

I have a 2007 YZ450F and I love this bike, theres only one little prob i have with it. It needs more low end grunt. It doesn't have the torque i want when i need to be up in a higher gear to clear a certain jump, but dont have the runway for it. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions out there. I'm prob gonna go for a twin bros exhaust I've heard good things but if theres any other suggestions or opinions out there please let me know.

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2008 - 11:45 AM

The things you've heard about the Two Bros exhaust have probably been in connection with an '08 YZ450, not an '07. Almost any pipe will give give an '08 a mid range boost, but an '07 does not have the same handicap the '08 does.

I suggest using the exhaust cam from an '06 YZ450. It's the same profile as the '07, but the lobe centering is different. It should help quite a bit.

Another thing that will help, if you are running the stock pipe, is a DRD exhaust system. The full stainless is a very good value, and I find it adds to the low end while maintaining good high end power.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted September 28, 2008 - 12:29 PM

DR D and a 51 rear sprocket Zip ty card mod:thumbsup:

• desert-rat660

Posted September 28, 2008 - 12:51 PM

i put a HC piston in my 06 and the bottom end torque was really improved

• Slinkyman16

Posted September 28, 2008 - 01:08 PM

a few ways.
a cheap way.. going up a tooth or 2 in the rear..

then a exhaust. dr.d is a good one.. if ur on the cheap. MRD is also a very great value.. he can custome spec u a exhaust for where u want the power to be. also has a lifetime warrenty..(but most any exhaust for the 07 will do something for the power delievery.not much but some)

then a High comp pistion will do it to but u will have to run race gas.

also might want to think about sending ur carb to ziptye and see if that helps.. its a good way to spend a 100 bucks..
theirs a few ways u can do it.. all depends on how much u want to spend.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert-rat660

Posted September 28, 2008 - 03:03 PM

i wasw able to still use 91 octane fuel without pre ignition occuring

• mywifefarts

Posted September 28, 2008 - 03:12 PM

I also have an '07 yz450f. I know the cam from an o6 would be more effective but I've been wondering if a pipe from an 'o6 would slip on without any major problems or jetting issues. If so would the bigger diameter help at all.

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2008 - 06:44 PM

It might, but my instincts tell me it wouldn't help much if it did at all.

• Wiz636

Posted September 29, 2008 - 08:36 AM

Another thing that will help, if you are running the stock pipe, is a DRD exhaust system. The full stainless is a very good value, and I find it adds to the low end while maintaining good high end power.

I could not agree more.

http://www.thumperta...841#post7005841

• mywifefarts

Posted September 29, 2008 - 01:58 PM

What about the WB carbon or aluminum pro. I've noticed alot of nice closeout prices since they were bought out

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.