Accelerator Pump??

6 replies to this topic
  • rockieman

Posted September 28, 2008 - 09:13 AM

I had an odd occurances the last couple of times out. The first one was a week ago while on a ride I did a small jump and the bike hesitated and died mid jump. When I started the bike it started right up but would not allow me to give it any gas (dies). After starting and letting it idle for a little while it was fine. This last ride it exhibited the same behavior... this time after a fairly deep water crossing. I made it across the crossing but when I got to the other side it died. I have the carb vented to the airbox so I knew that was not the problem. Again, the bike would start but would not allow me to gas it above idle. If I tried... it would die but start back up with no problems. After allowing it to idle for a while... it was fine again. Jetting on the bike is spot on and I'm pretty confident it is not jetting related. I thought the problem is probably the accelerator pump and possible corrosion under the accelerator pump cover and the diaphram.
Anyone have a different opinion before I tear into the carb?
Thanks

• Ricco420

Posted May 27, 2009 - 02:03 PM

You know Im having the same problems, wish Someone would have post to this topic

• Ricco420

Posted May 27, 2009 - 02:13 PM

:eek: Here is my story, I went to the track this last weekend and just before I started my bike My girlfriend said something about maybe her 3 year old put rocks in the exhaust!!!:thumbsup: Anyway I stood the bike up and abut 4 rocks and a screwdriver fell out!!!:crazy: :lol: So after that I took t he exhaust off and check.. no more rocks.. after that I went to ride got a few laps in and ran ok.. But then we got hell of rain!! but it stopped for a bit and I rode a few more laps and it would cut out after jumps like it was runing out of gas. I would stop and get it to idle again and go. didnt ride to much longer that day. but the next day back at the track would run ok on trails but on the track right after a jump would do the same thing again... and sometime it would be like the throttle was stuck closed... Not sure If I got it fix yet but will find out this weekend. I removed the exhaust again checked, and sealed and made sure no leaks, removed the gas tank drained and check pitcock all looked good. removed and cleaned carb, may have had a clogged jet. changed needlejet from blue #3 to red #5 since it has been getting warmer here and that is what was needed. started a lot easyer and sounds good. also checked plug and it didnt look to bad just about right on maybe a little lean. Wish me luck and I hope you found a cure for your problem. btw I also checked my acc pump and it looked ok.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SR81

Posted May 27, 2009 - 02:34 PM

It sounds like the leak jet being too small and not being able to supply enough fuel into the accelerator pump. My WR is my first foray into FCR carbs so I'm still green around the gills on this thing so I could be off base here. I'm kind of new to this section of the forum but it seems helpful so maybe someone will chime in. If not try the jetting forum they should be able to straighten it out.

• William1

Posted May 27, 2009 - 04:06 PM

I had an odd occurances the last couple of times out. The first one was a week ago while on a ride I did a small jump and the bike hesitated and died mid jump. When I started the bike it started right up but would not allow me to give it any gas (dies). After starting and letting it idle for a little while it was fine. This last ride it exhibited the same behavior... this time after a fairly deep water crossing. I made it across the crossing but when I got to the other side it died. I have the carb vented to the airbox so I knew that was not the problem. Again, the bike would start but would not allow me to gas it above idle. If I tried... it would die but start back up with no problems. After allowing it to idle for a while... it was fine again. Jetting on the bike is spot on and I'm pretty confident it is not jetting related. I thought the problem is probably the accelerator pump and possible corrosion under the accelerator pump cover and the diaphram.
Anyone have a different opinion before I tear into the carb?
Thanks

For the OP, it sounds like your float height is off. While you are checking that, take a look at the rest oif the carb (btw, slide goes in, square side down, just in case you take it out)

It sounds like the leak jet being too small and not being able to supply enough fuel into the accelerator pump. My WR is my first foray into FCR carbs so I'm still green around the gills on this thing so I could be off base here. I'm kind of new to this section of the forum but it seems helpful so maybe someone will chime in. If not try the jetting forum they should be able to straighten it out.

Read all about the O-Ring Mod and AP Tuning

and anyone who wants to learn more about a FCR can D/L the FCR-Tuning Guide

• chevy power

Posted May 27, 2009 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the links. Im fine tuning my carb now.

• WR_Dave

Posted May 28, 2009 - 04:59 AM

May be a good idea to inspect the check ball that refills the AP to see that it is functioning as well, since you will be checking float hieght anyway. WR Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.