Taffy's jetting phylosophy

7 replies to this topic
  • Ynahg

Posted June 18, 2002 - 05:40 AM

I ordered following parts at Alle's R & D Performance and received them before the weekend.
160 MJ
160MAJ
35 and 38 PJ
EMM
+ PAS

I removed the air-cut valve, installed the MJ and the MAJ the PAS 3/8 or 55 and the 38 PJ.
Left the DXM on 6#

The bike started from the first kick, smooth power but a big bog when rolling-on (tried to eliminate it with the fuel screw) from in the low rpm's.
Whithout any logic thinking I swapped the 38 PJ for the 35 and installed the EMM needle on clip 5.
Starting was not as easy as before, still a little tickover when rolling too fast or wacking the throttle from in the low revs. Idle hangs for approx. 5 s after giving gas in neutral.

Guess the pilot circuit mihgt be a little lean (close the PAS ?)
On the other hand midrange and top are very satisfying. WATCH OUT FOR WHEELIES !!!!!

How cold I eliminate this tickover problem in low revs ?

Oh yes pump squirt is really small -0.5 s

Thanks Taffy, midrange and top rips :D :) :D

• Taffy

Posted June 18, 2002 - 01:38 PM

that's a tough one to answer. you've dumped everything straight in and then made a major swap of needles! :D :)

i would drop the needle one clip and see how it goes. as far as the PC goes i would go back to the 38PJ and try that after.

i'm just shooting in the dark here. sorry!

it could come down to the fact that i said that a D serries was good for WR timing and an E series for YZ timing.

Taffy

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 18, 2002 - 02:55 PM

Hey Taff,
I am running the same: 38PJ, 162 MJ, EMN #2. I have my PAS at 1/4 turn out...

What do you think?

On decel (and NOT in neutral :) ) the backfiring is severe. I turned out my Kouba 1/2 turn and then the bike would stumble bad if the throttle was whacked open.

• Taffy

Posted June 18, 2002 - 11:21 PM

i'd open the PAS a little further kev. i know this sounds like leaner but it could be that both are needed. PAS and PJ up.

is it ok higher up?

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted June 19, 2002 - 01:51 AM

I did not have a great area to test.

I have to put my license plate, headlight & tailight back on and take her on the road.

I DID search the forum and came up w/ that 1/4 turn open initial position.

At least I am not screwing w/ that carbon fibre airbox... :) That was a hassle to do carb work!

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 19, 2002 - 01:53 AM

Hey Ynahg,
You did receive your Kouba...right??

• Ynahg

Posted June 21, 2002 - 03:41 AM

Yes indeed Kevin, I received my Kouba.
By the way, forgot to thank you for that..so thanks for the Kouba :D

Taffy,

You suggest to go back to the 38 PJ, but with the PAS 55, but I think this was too rich, ran ok and a good idle with PS fully closed and started to run rough when opening 2 1/2 turns. Maybe put the 38PS and set The PAS to 60-65 ?, Or yust stay with PAS 55 and let the needle down a clip.

The more I'm understanding about jetting, the more this jetting compromise is getting complex. :)

• Taffy

Posted June 21, 2002 - 11:25 AM

Kev

without looking i think that 1/4 turn out on the PAS is #45 kev, so you had better start again!

i would drop the needle for the midrange pull test first. this has a side effect of very slightly leaning the PC. THEN do your PAS out to 3/8 turn. that is your second test.

the top end should ideally be done first. when i did jetting Qs i was going where the work was but you will have cut 90% of that out. the final testing in jetting Qs saw me doing three changes at once even though near the end it's ultra critical. but the fact is that by then i knew exactly what would happen if i did what to what.

good luck

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.