RE: Metal Filings on Drain Plugs

8 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted September 27, 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hey guys, I bought a set of Ziptye magnetic oil drain plugs and put them in on my last oil change about 300km ago. I changed the oil again tonight and noticed there was quite a bit of metal on them, is this normal? Anyone else running magnetic drain plugs? I know it's normal to get a bit on them in any engine, but there was quite a bit on each very fine and very dark in color.

• dazzabb

Posted September 27, 2008 - 04:25 PM

Yeah it's normal max, I've run a mag plug for ages and sometimes see slithers of metal.

The first time I removed the plug I shit myself, I guess it had picked up th residual slithers that had not been removed previously and it looked bad...but never had any gearbox problems.

I think the dark stuff is residue from the clutch friction plates as they wear over time and and accumulate in the sump with the slithers.

• MountainMax

Posted September 27, 2008 - 06:09 PM

yeah, im hoping the next oil change won't be so much, but i guess im glad i have them, better to have them on my drain plugs and cleaned out every couple of weeks then floating around in my engine.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 28, 2008 - 05:56 AM

Did yours look like this? if so your fine...its clutch fibers

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted September 28, 2008 - 11:11 AM

That's exactly what it looked like :lame:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 28, 2008 - 12:39 PM

That's exactly what it looked like :bonk:

i figured as much...the first time i changed my oil after the install i was like :lame: but anyways yes thats normal.

the way i see it is, its better on the magnet then cycling through my motor. heck my last wr went over 10k miles never needed a valve adjust or anything...

• kjr247

Posted September 28, 2008 - 06:01 PM

It is normal, mine looks like that too. Never had any engine issues and burns zero oil.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted September 28, 2008 - 08:36 PM

Great post Mountain Max. I too was a little upset that I saw what I saw. I have a magnet and have had for a long time. Thanks for the consensus from all you fellow WR riders. Jason

• MountainMax

Posted September 29, 2008 - 02:28 AM

it reminds me of vehicles rear differentials, most of them have magnets in them and they are always full of this silty material and usually no problems there either.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.