One more piece of info for the starting ritual...

5 replies to this topic
  • driven

Posted September 26, 2008 - 03:33 PM

I bought a 2000 WR400 2 months ago in boxes. After stripping it to the bare frame, completely rebuilding everything, and converting it to a street legal supermoto, I had began to think it was all a waste of time as I COULD NOT GET THIS BIKE TO START with any consistancy when cold, and couldn't start it at all when hot. (How's that for a long sentence?)

I searched this and other forums and read all about the sequence...still no luck. I thought it had to be jetting or mixture screw related. Nope...spot on.

Then, by accident, I discovered what I had been missing and don't recall seeing in any of the numerous posts I had read. You absolutely MUST...

FINISH THE KICK! I had been wearing out my leg, killing the sole of my foot, and losing plenty of sweat doing what I thought were nice strong kicks. And they were, but I wasn't going all the way through the stroke. And that's critical as it's the end of the stroke that the plug fires... Don't just kick down, kick down and forward (at the end of the stroke) until the lever stops. You end the stroke with your toes pointed up slightly. I know it sounds dumb to be pointing this out, but if I missed it I am sure there are others. Forgive me if this is a repost.

I can now get the bike started on the first kick when hot, and in one or two when cold. This, of course, only works if your jetting is right and you follow the rest of the procedure. But, like anything else, it only matters how you finish... :lame:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 26, 2008 - 05:31 PM

Thats good advice!

Do you recommend first setting the piston to just past top dead center compression before giving the full kick? or is the full kick working for you no matter where the piston is?

• Tacojedbob

Posted September 26, 2008 - 11:19 PM

i just meditate 4 min straight prior to starting, normally works... but really I noticed this too, also always have luck taking a breath between kicks and calm myself. That and always having choke on whether hot or cold.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Alternative

Posted September 27, 2008 - 05:13 AM

Interesting... I find it's harder to stop kicking before it hits the stop on the foot peg, it just seems natural to me to kick it all the way through, my dad must of taught me how to kick a bike well. Good advice though, for any bike.

• Bamster

Posted September 27, 2008 - 11:18 AM

I alway found I had to have my mx or work boots on.
Sneakers never cut it.

• driven

Posted September 27, 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thats good advice!

Do you recommend first setting the piston to just past top dead center compression before giving the full kick? or is the full kick working for you no matter where the piston is?

I'm hardly an expert, but for me it only works if you bump it just past TDC. If you start somewhere else and hit TDC 1/4 to 1/2 way through the kick instead of using the piston's momentum to carry it through TDC at the end of the stroke the lever stops abruptly and it hurts!

One more thing I forgot to mention...

Once you bump it just past TDC, you need to let the lever come ALL THE WAY back to the top. The idea here is that the full swing on the kickstart lever will push the piston through all 4 cycles, or 2 revolutions. If you don't bring it all the way up and then all the way down then the piston will never get to the compression/igntion stroke and the bike won't start.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.