Can i use any flasher relay for indicators?

10 replies to this topic
  • fix

Posted September 25, 2008 - 11:41 PM

Hi im looking to wire up some indicators for my wr400,does anyone know if i can use pretty much any flasher relay?

• tweav

Posted September 26, 2008 - 01:03 AM

I told you before for the turn signals to flash your going to need a dc power source. I think I could wire up a little rectifier if it was here , but because it's not it I can't test anything. there is no thing stpping you from trying to hook up a rect in paralall with your headlight.

• fix

Posted September 26, 2008 - 02:19 AM

Oh sorry i thought you were saying the led on the switch wouldnt work with AC!

I understand what youre saying now there was obviously some language barrier problem

• tweav

Posted September 26, 2008 - 02:50 AM

Oh sorry i thought you were saying the led on the switch wouldnt work with AC!

I understand what youre saying now there was obviously some language barrier problem

the led will not work for long on ac
and the turn signals and the horn will be very hard to get them to work right on ac . the turn signals themselves will work on ac as long as they are not leds . But getting them to flash on ac might be a trick . I know an electronic flasher will not work , but a old overload style might . you could try that if you'd like .

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 26, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Your turn signals will work fine on AC as long as you use a standard thermal type flasher and they are not LED. The only issue is that since you won't have a battery the voltage at idle may not be enough to make them flash reliably. The WR400 stator is particularly weak at idle so the problem will be a little worse on that bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted September 26, 2008 - 08:21 AM

Your turn signals will work fine on AC as long as you use a standard thermal type flasher and they are not LED. The only issue is that since you won't have a battery the voltage at idle may not be enough to make them flash reliably. The WR400 stator is particularly weak at idle so the problem will be a little worse on that bike.

PDBLUE is absolutely correct:worthy:

Incandescent signals= Standard Flasher

LED signals = LED (solid state) Flasher

• fix

Posted September 26, 2008 - 08:31 AM

Brilliant!

So basically get a thermal flasher relay and use standard bulb type indicators not the led type

• GCannon

Posted September 26, 2008 - 10:25 AM

Brilliant!

So basically get a thermal flasher relay and use standard bulb type indicators not the led type

Correct the LED signals do not draw enough current to heat up the standard (thermal) flasher

• tweav

Posted September 26, 2008 - 12:44 PM

Correct the LED signals do not draw enough current to heat up the standard (thermal) flasher

also led's will blow out on ac. unless of course you reconfigure your leds in your turn signals into a like a bridged rectifier pattern . not worth the effort at all

• Tacojedbob

Posted September 26, 2008 - 11:26 PM

This has probably be already covered numerous times but im sick of searching...I just installed a DIY battery and rectifier with LED blinkers/horn/computer ect. I can not get the LEDs to flash either with thermal or electronic flashers (yes I know because they do not draw enough power to cause that break in a flasher circut). I have tried resistors to increase the draw with no luck. Can somone point me in the right direction for flashers that will work with my LEDs, rapid flashing preferably. At this point I am done playing electrician and want to just buy whatever i need. thanks in advance! I need to get this on the road before first snow!

sorry for the hijack, its kind of related

• tweav

Posted September 27, 2008 - 12:13 PM

this is the one I've had in my wr450 for a year and a half .

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

he also sells 3 prong ones if you need that kind.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.