Clutch problem?

2 replies to this topic
  • Sean_McCutcheon

Posted June 18, 2002 - 03:36 AM

A buddy of mine has a 2000 WR400F and just replaced the clutch plates (just the fibers) at the beginning of the year because of slippage. Well it is doing it again. Should he have replaced both sets of plates?

His valve need adjusted bad. Would this have anything to do with the slippage when he gets on it. I rode it last night and when you give it a lot of gas the engine just revs high and you go no where.

Could this be a tranny problem too?

Please help!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted June 18, 2002 - 04:33 AM

Did he use OEM plates? Did he leave one out? Are the springs sacked out?

I've heard of people using fine emery paper on the metal plates when changing fiber plates to give a nice surface for them to grip on to but I've never had any problems leaving them as is...

• JJboys

Posted June 18, 2002 - 04:53 AM

Check the simple things first:

1. Oil level and condition. Look for particles suspended.
2. Adjustment to the cable. Did he keep the proper adjustment?
3. Maybe pop the cover visually check the plates.
4. Count the plates. Make sure he has the proper #

Start simple. It is very possible that he has fried the fiber plates again if he is tough on the clutch.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.