What fork springs

3 replies to this topic
  • Thrasherg

Posted September 25, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Okay gents, I apologise if this is a stupid question. I recently bought a 2001 Yamaha YZ426 (it's completely standard) and I love riding it. I have not ridden off road for the last 3 years so am very rusty. So far I am only jumping 4 to 5 feet from the ground, but I was wondering what weight the standard front fork springs and rear shocks are setup for?
I am 6'2" tall and weight 200lbs, Is the suspension okay for this weight, or do I need to uprate the suspension, I am NOT racing the bike, just riding for fun on MX tracks with my kids.
Thanks for any/all feedback.
Gary

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2008 - 01:03 PM

200 is just off the high end for that bike, but if you are riding it as you say, the difference between stock and ideal is pretty small, and should not keep you from enjoying the bike if you don't change them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thrasherg

Posted September 25, 2008 - 01:27 PM

Many thanks, I weigh a bit less than 200, but with all my gear on I would be around 200lbs.. It felt fine, but often these bikes seem to be setup for a feather weight Oriental rider and my bulk overloads the suspension, so thought I would ask.

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2008 - 03:15 PM

If your weight without gear is 180-185, the stock rates are correct.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.