Paniers on exhaust

5 replies to this topic
  • Blackmax

Posted September 24, 2008 - 09:20 PM

I got some soft paniers for my WR for alonger ride we are planning. They are meant for a sport bike but fit nice, only problem is the right side rests on the exhaust. Anyone have any ideas on how to save a meltdown?

• Birdy426

Posted September 24, 2008 - 10:01 PM

Bend up some brackets, attach to both the fender and side panel, to hold the bags up off the pipe...or run them far enough forward that they rest on the side panel only and not the pipe...

• GCannon

Posted September 25, 2008 - 07:20 AM

How about Making a thin aluminum sheet metal heat shield an pop rivit it to the inside of the pannier where it touches the exhaust. That way you don't have to drill a bunch of holes in the bike and the panniers will be custom fit for the WR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blackmax

Posted September 25, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I'm looking at both. I like the heat shield idea and I might look for a material rather than aluminum. There must be a heat resistant fabric out there.

• jpryce

Posted September 26, 2008 - 05:40 AM

Hit your local chef's supply store for a silicone sheet pan liner. It can be trimmed to fit, is flexible, and if it will take the heat in the oven, it should survive your silencer.

• Blackmax

Posted September 26, 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hit your local chef's supply store for a silicone sheet pan liner. It can be trimmed to fit, is flexible, and if it will take the heat in the oven, it should survive your silencer.

Jpryce, you win, thats a great idea. I will be installing one on the panier this week-end. Thanks again to the other replies.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.