YZ 426 Bore out or buy new cyliner?

3 replies to this topic
  • jay3and88

Posted September 24, 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hey guys and gals, I've got a YZ 426 that I have to do some work on the cylinder, I need to eather buy a new cylinder or bore it out and sleeve it to fit the new piston. Someone had told me that because of the nickle coating or what ever it's called, if I bore and sleeve I could loose power, Does anyone know if this is true and if so would you really notice it if your not on the track. I'm not a Pro by any means but I do run the bike hard.

It would cost less to sleeve it but would this hurt reliability. Could I bore it out to be a 450?

Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with this.

Thanks,

Jay

• Pincushion

Posted September 24, 2008 - 04:31 PM

It can be punched and renaik'd to run a 97mm piston = yfz444.

Did this to my old 2000 years ago and never had any issues. Made it pull a little better down low. Mid and top felt about the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jay3and88

Posted September 24, 2008 - 04:40 PM

Did you have to change anything else, cams or anything?

• Pincushion

Posted September 24, 2008 - 05:11 PM

Did you have to change anything else, cams or anything?

Nope. All the stock internals remain.

I installed the 03 450 decomp cam while I had the motor torn down, but it was not necessary.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.