426 overheating Badly

2 replies to this topic
  • racerx573

Posted September 24, 2008 - 01:37 PM

Here's my scenario, I have the engine in a quad frame for MX.

I have a 42 pilot
172 Main
Needle is on the 3rd clip (stock needle)
It's ported, K&N filter, 13:1 piston, 450 cam mod.
Wet sump kit

It has no response off the bottom end, but screams once it is wound it, but takes a while to get there. I just checked out all the jetting guides and printed them out to try some different combos.

My plug is burning kind of a grayish brown, and my exhaust tip is a little white, so she was running lean.

When I come off the track the coolant is down to the fins in the top of the rad, and she is blowing steam furiously.

I installed a catch bottle, and a high pressure radiator cap.

I figured since it was running like that I may have a leaky head gasket, so a new one is on the way, and there was a minute amount of drip from my weep hole, so I ordered a new mechanical seal.

I am going to try all of this, and run the jetting I was running before.

But if anyone else has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2008 - 02:06 PM

First, confirm that the flywheel key is intact by checking actual TDC through the spark plug hole against the timing marks. Then check the cam timing.

• racerx573

Posted September 24, 2008 - 02:26 PM

I've got the whole head off right now still, I am gonna check all the timing and whatnot in reference to the YZ450 cam mod thread. I bought the engine used, so something could be out of line. What should I check for when checking the flywheel? Thanks for the info.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.