YZ450 Vs WR450

5 replies to this topic
  • stev0

Posted September 24, 2008 - 12:54 PM

This is not another which one is better thread, its more a thread of what bike is better for what terrain.

Yesterday my mate and I, went to collect his 05 YZ450F and it was the first time that i rode it today since i got my Wr to make some sort of comparison.

Yes Ive heard that the YZ has 2 throttle possitions, WOT or not at all, so it seems to me anyways. You are either flying somewhere or bogging down the whole time.

To me the way the WR makes power is so much friendlier for trail and sand riding, The YZ tires me out like you would not believe, but i can sit on the WR is sand the whole day without an issue.

Both Bikes are totally stock, You can immediatly hear the difference in the engines, The WR once again sounds like its being suffocated while the YZ is screaming to be ridden hard! The airbox has a snarl to it while my bike seems very quiet.

Suspension wise, My bikes rear has been swapped out for a 6kg unit to carry a giant around, I feel like the YZ is way to soft for me. Gearing is good on the YZ, although I prefer the WR, call me biased?

What i must say is that my WR feels like donkey compared to the YZ, I think i need to uncork it, hopefully it will give it more mid and topend. Will the power be simmiliar to the YZ?

Must say, My driveway looked very cool with the 2 bikes standing there. the 06 WR450F and the 05 YZ450F, both having exactly the same decals, both in almost new condition...

• jandmsuburban7

Posted September 28, 2008 - 08:13 PM

You didnt leave much for anyone to answer!!! I have a WR and love it. It has alot of the trick stuff and it flat halls. It is also very controllable but yet I can pull a wheelie at the right rpm's in fourth gear. I too love the jam on power of a yz but its versatility on the trail is nil and you could never keep up with my wr. Unless your that much better and in that much better shape. Jason

• stev0

Posted September 28, 2008 - 08:58 PM

jason ,I agree, from stepping down from dualsport bikes to enduro/mx bikes they are so much easier to ride fast in the tricky stuff but you need to be so much fitter! I am by no means mocking the YZ, its a brilliant bike, but like you said, the WR is so much better on the trails.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeythefokker

Posted September 29, 2008 - 12:28 PM

If you open up the wr(exhaust, jetting, grey wire mod), I think that you will be very pleased by the amount of power you find hidden in it. The wr's will always run a little bit differently than a yz would, primarily due to the cams and the transmission. The yz cams are made to make more power higher in the rpm band, and the wr makes more power lower in the rpm band. It is kind of like the difference that you would find between a chevy 350 from a truck, and a chevy 350 out of a camaro. If you like the power up top, where the yz makes it, then you can always just throw a set of yz cams into your wr. Personally, I only like that kind of power band on wider, faster trails. In the single track stuff, and in real nasty rocks, I like the lower gruntier power of the wr.

• stev0

Posted September 29, 2008 - 09:04 PM

If you open up the wr(exhaust, jetting, grey wire mod), I think that you will be very pleased by the amount of power you find hidden in it. The wr's will always run a little bit differently than a yz would, primarily due to the cams and the transmission. The yz cams are made to make more power higher in the rpm band, and the wr makes more power lower in the rpm band. It is kind of like the difference that you would find between a chevy 350 from a truck, and a chevy 350 out of a camaro. If you like the power up top, where the yz makes it, then you can always just throw a set of yz cams into your wr. Personally, I only like that kind of power band on wider, faster trails. In the single track stuff, and in real nasty rocks, I like the lower gruntier power of the wr.

Yeah, the power is so much more controlable on the single track then the YZ, the Yz feels like it wants to run all over the place.

• mikeythefokker

Posted September 29, 2008 - 11:38 PM

The yz's are great bikes when you use them for what they were made for. I have a friend who rides the snot out of his on the trails, but he is faster than me by a good bit, and also grew up riding motocross, so I don't think he could ever picture himself riding anything with a headlight. I think that a yz 250f could make a great little trail machine with a little massaging.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.