06' 450 header dent

3 replies to this topic
  • c-man

Posted September 24, 2008 - 11:49 AM

About a month ago I went down in some rocks and dented my header about 2" in front of the exhaust heat shield (mid-bend bewtween the shield and the engine). The dent is not significant enough to cause a major problem, but wondering if anyone had a good way to fix this. I have read of putting water in it and freezing it to push the dent out. Tried this X 2, but no improvement....maybe the header is too hard vs. the old 2 stroke pipes (believe they are now titanium, right?)

Any advice appreciated,

C

• Wiz636

Posted September 24, 2008 - 12:20 PM

Freezing it is the way to go but sometimes it takes several freezes to fix it. Also, not all dents respond well to freezing. It is all dependant on their location, depth, angle, etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted September 24, 2008 - 12:22 PM

...you mentioned the Ti. The Ti headers are fixable. Put a dent in a SS header and it will stay there.

• sean3239

Posted September 24, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Do a search on "header dent", etc and you will get a wealth of info on freezing. :excuseme: I had a bad dent in the same spot and it took 7 times in the freezer and the dent was gone.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.