WR450 dual sport / green sticker?

22 replies to this topic
  • jeep

Posted June 17, 2002 - 03:56 PM

If I buy a wr450 and make it a dual sport. via the vemont method. It will be street legal with a plate in ca. but the Q is will I still need a green sticker for the hills???

Little help!!

• Mitch_R

Posted June 17, 2002 - 04:45 PM

If you have a license plate the dmv assume that you are smog legal to qualify for a plate. If you have a plate you can go any where a greensticker can go, that's nice :)

• big_G

Posted June 17, 2002 - 09:02 PM

The answer to your question is kinda yes. Although I this is more exception than rule, I have seen some trails marked OHV only, no street vehicles, but I think that's just to keep the Jeeps off of the goat trails. The one I'm thinking of is up in Big Bear near that staging area over by the shooting range.

Either way, I think a plate is sufficient for state parks like Gorman and the like, but out in the desert I always thought you needed a Green to be "fully" legal. Of course, I've never been hassled out there, so who cares, just keep a spark arrestor on it and go for it, I would.

Ever since I saw this...

Posted Image

...all I can think about is how I'm gonna plate her and make her mine... mmmmmm....

She will be mine.

• jeep

Posted June 18, 2002 - 04:50 AM

MY DEBATE IS BETWEEN THE XR400 AND THE WR450. BOTH PLATED OF COARSE. IF YOU HAVE A 99' XR400 WHAT MAKES YOU WANT A WR450 SO BAD? JUST THE ADDED POWER? WHAT ABOUT THE XR4 DO YOU NOT LIKE?!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE I BLOW SOME MONEY ON SOMETHING I AM NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY WITH.

MOST OF MY RIDING IS IN THE HILLS AND SINGLE TRACK. I DO GET UP TO THE DESERT SOMETIMES BUT NOTHING FLAT OUT.

• YamaMoto

Posted June 18, 2002 - 05:49 AM

"Either way, I think a plate is sufficient for state parks like Gorman and the like, but out in the desert I always thought you needed a Green to be "fully" legal. Of course, I've never been hassled out there, so who cares, just keep a spark arrestor on it and go for it, I would."

This last weekend I took my dual registered green stickered and plated WR to Gorman. On the trails I got stopped twice on trails for no reason other than "How you guys doing?" On my last ride I decided to take the Alamo Mt loop, nicest paved road I have ever been on, which required to be "street legal". On my way back on the main road through the park the ranger came at me head on with lights flashing. No problem, I got a plate. He looks at the green sticker and says "you can't be on this road"
My reply: I have a license plate.
Ranger: Anybody can get a plate, this is not
street legal.
My reply: Why not?
Ranger: You need proof of insurance.
My reply: I have insurance want to see it?
Ranger: You don't have the right equipment by
the letter of the law, it has to have a
metal tank.
My reply: No reply

He lets me go, but off road only. I am questioning the metal tank rule with all the XR's that are easier to license. Also the Aprilia Mille R comes with a composite tank.
Any thoughts/comments?
Matt

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 18, 2002 - 06:44 AM

This kind of crap pisses me off. I think the metal tank issue is a bunch of BS. It's my understanding that MANUFACTURERS switched to metal tanks on street bikes only to reduce their product liability, not because of a legal mandate. I would have wanted him to show me in the codes where it says that metal tanks are required by law. I doubt he could.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 18, 2002 - 07:32 AM

It seems like everything in the Golden State is FUBAR these days. It is turning in the Golden Shower State because all the authorities do is piss all over us.

It might be a good idea for us Golden Shower State riders to become very familiar with the vehicle code and carry a copy of it at all times. When you get hassled like this, just pull out the code and review it with the ranger. Just maybe they are the ones who don't know what they are talking about. :)

• YamaMoto

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:13 AM

I am going to try this week to stop by the CA DMV (another CA FUBAR) and see what rules I can pick up. Will post what I find. Can remember where but I was reading some of the rules, mostly on lighting, but I dont remember anything on a metal tank. Matt

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:16 AM

Yama,

I'll save you a trip:

http://www.dmv.ca.go...vctop/vc/vc.htm

• StreetMoto

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:29 AM

Here is another pile of junk the rangers will throw around.

I was at Kennedy Meadows last week. They have a flyer there explaining the rules and regulations for street legal motorcycles. They specify that you must have DOT approved tires on your bike (including all the other stuff) for it to be street legal. So if your up there with plates and knobbies they you would be illegal according to the rules.

its total BS. I feel like Im 14 again getting hassled by the cops for riding on trails. Only this time Im trying to do it legally.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:38 AM

When converting a bike you have to match OEM equivalent signals, lights meeting certain specs for distance, high beam indicator, horn, mirror, batter to run rear light for 20 minutes(?), kill switch, DOT tires (which he probably could have gotten you for anyway), must have minimum horsepower etc.

When I read it I thought that manufacturers were required to use metal tanks to make street legal bikes (less susceptable to fuel spillage in an accident).
I don't remember the wording requiring you to change to a metal tank in Colorado. This may vary by state.

• jeep

Posted June 18, 2002 - 08:48 AM

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS.

ANYONE WITH A STREET LEGAL 426!
HOW DID YOU DO IT.
VIA THE VERMONT METHOD OR DID YOU DO IT STRAIGHT AWAY OFF THE DEALER JUST MAKING SURE THAT THEY DID NOT WRITE DOWN THE DREADED MX ON THE REGISTRATION.

?????

• big_G

Posted June 18, 2002 - 01:26 PM

Originally posted by jeep:
MY DEBATE IS BETWEEN THE XR400 AND THE WR450. BOTH PLATED OF COARSE. IF YOU HAVE A 99' XR400 WHAT MAKES YOU WANT A WR450 SO BAD? JUST THE ADDED POWER? WHAT ABOUT THE XR4 DO YOU NOT LIKE?!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE I BLOW SOME MONEY ON SOMETHING I AM NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY WITH.

MOST OF MY RIDING IS IN THE HILLS AND SINGLE TRACK. I DO GET UP TO THE DESERT SOMETIMES BUT NOTHING FLAT OUT.

I'm guessing you're refering to me in your above post. Umm.. since at least one of us is confused (me) perhaps I'll take a stab at what your asking again.

I don't have an XR, I have a WR. Since you brought it up though, I did recently ride an XR400 and thought it was fun. I wouldn't trade it for my WR in a thousand years, but it's still a dirtbike and still runs and play's fine. Maybe a mellower powerband and softer suspension is what you want. At least that is what my initial impression was anyway. Well that and you could say the seat was a bit lower, prolly like 5 inches. Finally, the starting curve is just as steep however as it took about 5 minutes of kicking to light it up, oh well, that's thumpers for ya...

But back to the WR450... mmmmmm... why wouldn't I want it!!! That thing is just dreamy in my book. It's like everything I love about my '99, bigger, badder, newer and updated. Personally, I've already suffered the "starting 4-stroke when you've ridden 2-strokes for 25 years conversion syndrome", so I could careless about the e-start. But what that does tell me is that a battery is already on it and that means one step closer to street legalization and therefore one step closer to defying the evil DMV communist empire.

Specifically back to your question however, I too don't really do alot of all-out riding anymore either. While my brain still thinks I can ride like im 15, I know better than that 95% of the time so I too cruise it bigtime most everywhere I go now. Besides, isn't that half of the fun with big bores anyway?? You know, coming in a gear high or 5th gear wheelies or just slinging shiznit 60 ft in the air just cuz you can?? I've been on open classers since I was around 14 or so and just love that style of riding. Today's big bore's however, finally have real suspension and disc brakes and such and therefore are way less punishing than the 490's of yesteryear. That's what I love about my 400 so much, that's why I already love that 450 and will have one someday, and that's exactly why the XR of which you speak, while is a cool bike, is not for me. But that's me, you may want differently, and the XR400 is definately a good bike quality wise if that's what your asking.

On the green sticker question, I don't really know much on that. I don't get hassled, but I don't ride the state parks anymore. I know that freedom in general is becoming a hassle for us dirtbikers and that's pretty much the only reason I ever plated my WR in the first place. Further, now that the DMV has a stick up their arse, I too will follow suit by plating everything I own till the day I die. So, to do the slow readers a favor, I summarize as follows:

Plate your bike out of state, and bring it in. If DMV refuses to plate you, they will be the plantiff, not you. You will have plates and will therefore force the enforcement back on the pinheads in "Excramento".

Happy moto'ing y'all.

:) :D :D

• big_G

Posted June 18, 2002 - 01:35 PM

Originally posted by YamaMoto:
I am going to try this week to stop by the CA DMV (another CA FUBAR) and see what rules I can pick up. Will post what I find. Can remember where but I was reading some of the rules, mostly on lighting, but I dont remember anything on a metal tank. Matt

Hey Matt, did you go the VT route for your bike or was the "cannuck" factor enough to get you there. Just wondering for future reference.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I will be at DMV on Thursday this week and will ask about that metal tank issue for ya. Anyone wanna take pictures of the DMV guys face when I pull up for a drive test on the WR???

:) :D :D

• YamaMoto

Posted June 18, 2002 - 02:53 PM

Gary, I went the Canadian method. The dealer here imports them from a Canadian dealer. All I had to do was pay $21 for the off road registration. I had to wait about 45 days to receive the Green sticker. I then installed the Baja Design kit, took it to the dealer and had the lighting signed off. The owner is certified. I took the Green sticker to the DMV and asked for a dual registration. Seemed like she had some trouble typing it in or getting it to go through but in a few minutes and another $81 she gave me a plate. I did have to sign some paper that siad I would maintain both registrations.

Its funny you mentioned taking the picture of the DMV person, I had just turned off my helmet cam a few minutes before getting pulled over. Would have made some interesting video.

Matt

• big_G

Posted June 18, 2002 - 04:36 PM

Sounds like you didn't get hassled by "the man" then, glad to hear of your success.

DMV sucks!!!

• One_Dollar

Posted June 19, 2002 - 01:10 AM

FYI,

As of June 1 2002 Vermont will no longer tag dirt bikes. This is information that I recieved from another person so be sure to call Vermont DMV to confirm

But do it before you Buy a bike you want to tag!

• XRider

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:16 AM

What dealer in SoCal gets Canadian Yamahas?

• overthebars_again

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:23 AM

My local dealer told me that he can't get Canadian bikes anymore, unless he drives to Canada and transports them back himself. I don't know if this is true or not, he may have been trying to talk me into buying locally... He also told me that I can no longer purchase the Canadian bikes and have it shipped to my home, as you could in the past. Sooo, I've got the first WR that arrives in Lancaster, Ca.

Marc

• RonO

Posted July 10, 2002 - 10:35 AM

To get a license for my bike the dealer had to send some form from the WV DMV with the Original MSO. All the form did was say I met the requirements for the bike to be street legal. I added the Baja Design's Kit and the dealer inspected the bike. All done, now I have the only street legal WR around. I have tags but still get some bizarre looks from the police.

Ron

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.