06 WR450 V's 08 WR450

14 replies to this topic
  • axle94

Posted September 23, 2008 - 04:35 PM

I am just about to buy a 08 WR450, and I saw a 06 (brand new) for heaps less $$$. What are the differences between them? Any known probs with 06 models? Thanks.

• YamaLink

Posted September 23, 2008 - 04:50 PM

2008 supposedly has less engine noise due to a change in the clutch primary gears and balancer gears. I couldn't tell a diff when riding those years...mainly cuz I'm shouting and holding on for dear life.

And someone correct me, but didn't the 2007 and on have an aluminum frame whereas the 06 did not? I also think the 06 does not have a forged upper triple clamp and a half inch lower seat height compared to the 08.

Hold on: a quick Google shows changes from 06 to 07 (I know you asked about 08, but if it's new in 07 it more than likely did not revert back to 06 in 08)....

New engine and balancer
New integrated oil tank location
New camshafts
New exhaust system
New body styling
New LED taillight
New quick-access airbox
New wave-style disc brake rotors
New ProTaper handlebars
New wider footpegs
New full-coverage skid plate
New radiator with bracing
New radiator louvers
New forged top triple and handlebar clamps
New seat cushion design

• sausage boy

Posted September 23, 2008 - 06:42 PM

I am just about to buy a 08 WR450, and I saw a 06 (brand new) for heaps less $$$. What are the differences between them? Any known probs with 06 models? Thanks.

i'd get the 06, i have an 05 which like the 06 has the steel frame, i bought an 08 this year ( 07/08 have alloy frame), it good but i still think my 05 rides better. also to jet the 07/08 you can't get the carb off without taking the rear shock off and the subframe.:excuseme:
riding at an altitude between 7,000-11,500ft makes it very time consuming to jet the bike, now the weathers got a bit colder my bike is running rich, so i have to change the needle, i have put this off because of the strip down thats required.
this is just my personal opinion, but knowing what i know now i would have looked for an new 06.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 23, 2008 - 07:29 PM

your going to give an take with each bike...i had an 06 and i put about 10k miles on it before i sold and it never needed a valve adjustment. i just bought an 08 and i hope this one does the same. i have yet to start the 08 as im still getting it set up. i skipped the stock pipe and went straight to a yz header and fmf 4.1 slip on so we will see how that set up works. all in all beside the frame being different i expect the very close if not the same results in power and reliability.

• trailhead2004

Posted September 24, 2008 - 02:17 PM

[quote name='sausage boy']
riding at an altitude between 7,000-11,500ft makes it very time consuming to jet the bike, now the weathers got a bit colder my bike is running rich, so i have to change the needle, i have put this off because of the strip down thats required. QUOTE]

Sausage boy,

Just remove the seat, tank, and upper engine mounts (top of the head), then remove the cap on the top of the carb. You can access the needle with a pair of needlenose pliers.

At least it works for me.

trailhead2004

• sausage boy

Posted September 24, 2008 - 04:50 PM

[quote name='trailhead2004'][quote name='sausage boy']
riding at an altitude between 7,000-11,500ft makes it very time consuming to jet the bike, now the weathers got a bit colder my bike is running rich, so i have to change the needle, i have put this off because of the strip down thats required. QUOTE]

Sausage boy,

Just remove the seat, tank, and upper engine mounts (top of the head), then remove the cap on the top of the carb. You can access the needle with a pair of needlenose pliers.

At least it works for me.

trailhead2004[/QUOTE]

thanks trailhead i'll give that a try :excuseme:

• trailhead2004

Posted September 25, 2008 - 09:19 AM

[quote name='sausage boy'][quote name='trailhead2004']

thanks trailhead i'll give that a try :excuseme:[/QUOTE]

Post your thoughts after you've done it. I'd like to see what you think. I made a quick change on the needle height a few weeks ago and it seemed pretty easy to me.

The flip side is that it seems like what I find easy or at least not too much work, others will find difficult or too time consuming. Good luck!

trailhead2004

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • axle94

Posted September 26, 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hmmmm, there is quite a few changes, albeit, most very small, except perhaps frame. Does 06 have less frequent valve adjustments? The price difference without any beating down yet is (sit down, I do live in OZ) $12,500for 08, and $9,000 for 06. What would you buy? I am also going to motard it.

• neevothespaniel

Posted September 26, 2008 - 11:15 PM

I would get the 08!!! The difference in handling between the aluminium framed bikes and the steel ones is huge in my opinion. Not sure what the cause is as they are technically the same weight, however I think the Alu frame helped to reduced the center of gravity which gives it a much lighter feeling.

I would NEVER go back to a steel framed Yamaha!

• neevothespaniel

Posted September 26, 2008 - 11:17 PM

Also Axle94 that price you have quoted is way too much for an 08. I paid $11k (AU) for mine back in March. What with the 09's coming out soon I am sure that you could get one for around the same if not a touch cheaper.

Compare $9k to $11k and the decision is looking easier.

Where abouts in Oz are you?

• axle94

Posted October 09, 2008 - 07:40 PM

Yeah as I said the AU$12,500 was no beating down, and I'm just under the 11k mark now. I have had a rethink on which bike I should go aswell, so many choices. I live in country Victoria.

• mikeythefokker

Posted October 10, 2008 - 01:57 AM

There is no doubt that the 08 is a better bike, but the 06 steel framed bike isn't that bad. The steelies are way easier to work on as well. The newer bikes sure do look a lot cooler though, and they are compatible with all of the newest yz performance parts.

• yz-dwg

Posted October 10, 2008 - 01:37 PM

I rode my bud's '07 and it did feel a little lighter and easier to turn but not that much, however I am old and slow, I think unless you are a pro that needs to shave off a couple seconds you will be plenty happy with the '06, get the '06 and spend what you saved on some extras, just my $.02, either way I think you will be happy, cheers and g'day

• tweav

Posted October 11, 2008 - 12:46 AM

I don't really know why we are debating this one . The 07+ Wr's are completely new bike .The list of things that were not changed is much shorter , then the list of things that were changed . Yes it's harder to work on the carb "well the whole bike for that matter ,It's just all a tight fit ." It's really not that hard to work on once your used to it . Now Hands down the 07 + wr is a better bike .Why not find a 07 if your trying to save a few bucks ?

Here's my 07. It's slightly modded . I'm really surprised how fast I can slam it thru the twisties. I've passed quite a few sport bikes on the outside.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Powerage

Posted October 11, 2008 - 04:11 AM

Hows the search going...

Is it the Brand new '06 WR450 at the Clipstone yamaha? Just seen that on Bikesales... But then i also see a "like new" '06 will "very little use" selling at the same store for $7600. Given the reliability of these models, i cant see a real any disadvantage in buying second hand, except having an extra $1500 in your sky rocket...

In saying that, if you were looking to spend the $9k on the '06, i think it would be a good idea to look at the '08's on bikepoint, cuz they are advertising them in several country vic stores for $9,999 with very little kms on them...

Brand new, cheapest i seen was out Sunbury way, $10,490.

Good Luck... :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.