New fork oil/seals...now stiffer front suspension?

32 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted September 23, 2008 - 08:46 PM

Dont forget your compression adjuster and rebound adjuster purely effect an orifice. So if you can feel 2 clicks change, you can feel a thicker or thinner viscosity much the same.

However Grayracer is very correct it has less effect with the shims.

As to feeling stiffer, when doing purely seals on a TC fork, you don't mess with any of the valving. you dont even have to open the inner chamber and change its fluid to do just seals.

Maybe your imagining its stiffer, or it's not installed correctly, or the 5 clicks stiffer is making it 5 clicks stiffer.

But dont bash the guy because you think he messed something up. It would be very hard to mess anything up doing purely fork seals....

I'm not trying to bash him I just was wondering what he did...and what oil he used. Because the suspension is noticeable stiffer now. I'll let you know for sure how things really are once I ride it again this weekend.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2008 - 08:56 PM

It would be very hard to mess anything up doing purely fork seals....

Other than the outer oil level, that should be true. But a half ounce error on these forks is very noticeable, too.

• CrzyWhtBy

Posted September 24, 2008 - 09:28 AM

If you let your seals leak for a while the lack of fluid would definately make you have to adjust to a stiffer setting to compensate. After you change the seals and get the fluids measured right, you end up on a softer setting to get the same compression. But it may still feel really stiff, I would bleed the air out a couple of times and I bet your suspension will react the way you expect it to.

edit: it worked in my 1 time do it yourself fork seal change.

• Justin89

Posted September 24, 2008 - 09:33 AM

If you let your seals leak for a while the lack of fluid would definately make you have to adjust to a stiffer setting to compensate. After you change the seals and get the fluids measured right, you end up on a softer setting to get the same compression. But it may still feel really stiff, I would bleed the air out a couple of times and I bet your suspension will react the way you expect it to.

edit: it worked in my 1 time do it yourself fork seal change.

Ya I have the motion pro bleeder valves so I bleed them all the time (with the front tire off of the ground of course :excuseme:) I'll have to wait and see until this weekend.

• aggiemoto99

Posted September 24, 2008 - 11:49 AM

A ride impression is the only way......anyways, if you have not done so, return the clickers to where you had them before the work.

And yes, an ounce is a lot! But when I do the work, I use a graduated cylinder I picked up for like 5 bucks....and I would guess most others would do so as well.....I would consider my accuracy to be at about 3cc's at worse.

And he would not feel the effects of a lower or higher oil amount when just pushing down....you cant get it far enough to feel that.

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2008 - 12:06 PM

And yes, an ounce is a lot! But when I do the work, I use a graduated cylinder I picked up for like 5 bucks....and I would guess most others would do so as well.....I would consider my accuracy to be at about 3cc's at worse.

And mine too. In fact, I would expect nothing less from you. But you can't vouch for everyone's professionalism.

You are absolutely right about riding the bike to evaluate it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jay3and88

Posted September 24, 2008 - 06:16 PM

Look I don't know about all the "theory" stuff, but when mine were done the felt hard untill I rode for a wile. I didn't even notice when they went back to normal, but at the end of the day the bike felt great and all was right with the world.

• Justin89

Posted September 24, 2008 - 06:52 PM

Look I don't know about all the "theory" stuff, but when mine were done the felt hard untill I rode for a wile. I didn't even notice when they went back to normal, but at the end of the day the bike felt great and all was right with the world.

That's what I hope happens to me :excuseme:

• aggiemoto99

Posted September 24, 2008 - 08:35 PM

That's what I hope happens to me :excuseme:

Best of luck, like we have stated...he would have been hard pressed to screw it up.

• Justin89

Posted September 25, 2008 - 01:00 PM

OKay found it he put 340cc's of oil...good or bad?

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2008 - 01:18 PM

That should be fine, if it works OK while riding.

• mnm567

Posted September 30, 2008 - 04:51 PM

Gray, What's the cost of the 215.VM2.K5 fluid you mentioned? Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Contact Dave Johnson at:

info@smartperformanceinc.com

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.