Random thoughts on first weekend of ownership.

6 replies to this topic
  • Regalman

Posted September 22, 2008 - 04:50 AM

1) My WR would barely run with all the crap on it... unbelievable.

2) What a pain in the arse to remove all the crap that came on it.

3) Did I really need to remove my rear shock to get the carb out?

4) I was really starting to wonder if that exhaust restricter was ever going to come out.

5) If you hookup the two connectors backwards behind the side plate, it will pop the fuse the minute you hit the starter button.

6) Don't drive like a jackarse in your brothers new crossfire, on a Friday night at 11pm going to get fuses... although, to my credit he wheeled me for not using my blinker.. which sorta made me laugh.

7) We started at 8pm friday night, and it was 1:30am when we finally got it all done (Cycra handguard and scotts damper mounting also)... and I didn't really care if I woke the neighbors up... I made sure it was going to run.

8) It was well worth the umpteen hours to remove the crap, my lawn has some ruts to prove it.

9) A WR must weigh about half of what a DRZ weighs.

10) Throttle modulation is now a must on the trail... the DRZ you simply pinned leaving every corner... if you want the front wheel near the ground, don't do that with the WR.

11) The WR shifts like crap... how the hell do you get it in neutral? [although its seems to be getting better]

12) Why is the shift lever so far in towards the motor... I don't know how many times I went for an upshift only to be booting air.

13) Even without my stiffer RaceTech springs in (I'm a fatass)... the WR suspension was 10x better than the DRZ suspenders.

14) The hotstart is a must for starting... and never give it any throttle.

15) Why didn't I listen to my friends and buy this the first time... before the DRZ???

16) Sand whoops went from a scary proposition to more of a mild annoyance.

17) Can't wait to see how much of a PITA it is to change the oil this week.

18) The stock grips are hard on the hands.

19) I know I'm being a bit critical... we always point out the 'flaws' in things before we point out the good aspects... this bike rocks... I really really like it.

• djv5

Posted September 22, 2008 - 06:12 AM

#17 on your gripe list will not be problem - 5 minutes tops to change the oil & filter.

• AFJ7732W

Posted September 22, 2008 - 06:45 AM

I'm also a new owner.....

(1) Dealer removed all the smog junk and re-jetted.

(2) Throttle control an absolute must, altho I don't really even think about it much anymore.

(3) Maintaining a constant speed on the road produces a "miss". Read something about this, can't remember what causes it, or what the cure is.

(4) Tiny tank, thursty engine.

(5) Cheeks hurt from grinning so much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kevinwr450f

Posted September 22, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Give it about ten rides and you'll be super pumped on that bike.

Posted September 22, 2008 - 03:34 PM

14) The hotstart is a must for starting... and never give it any throttle.

Pilot jet is likely to rich.... if you used the GYTR AIS kit I think they give you a pretty fat jet... sounds like you are now an expert at accessing the carb so it should be no big deal to get in their and change the pilot:thumbsup:

• Regalman

Posted September 23, 2008 - 04:28 AM

if you used the GYTR AIS kit I think they give you a pretty fat jet...

Crap. Yes I used the GYTR kit. It seems to run fine, I'll finish out the season and revisit pipe and jetting options in the spring.

The bike really is awesome... i was just nitpicking the little things that I noticed.

• face_plant

Posted September 23, 2008 - 06:13 AM

on the first day yamaha had a carb
on the second they had a frame
on the thied day they had suspension
on the forth day they had an engine
on the fifth day they had plastics
on the sixth day they realized (??????) how do we get the carb off
on the seventh day they rested because they couldnt race

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.