2003 YZ450f post rebuild troubles

4 replies to this topic
  • YZERIK

Posted September 21, 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hello, afew eeeks ago i bent 3 valves and thus having to do a bit of a re-build on my bike. anyway i put in 3 new intake valves, all new guides & seals. also, a new cam-chain and cam-chain tensioner. i should also point out that earlier this spring i put in a new piston, rings, and cam chain as well.

anyway after i got the valves put in and this and that, i put it all together, took it for a ride and the thing just isnt what it used to be, power-wise. i took it for a short ride and wasnt impressed, the thing wont wheelie, and its lacking big time in the power department. it runs like a top and the motor is tightet than a ticks ass, but im dumbfounded and dont know were i went wrong..any ideas? if u got a question ask it, i need some help! thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2008 - 06:36 PM

> When your old cam chain slipped, it was because of seizure. The sprocket on the cam that seized slipped because of it and is out of time, even though it says it is.

> You didn't time it right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky300racer

Posted September 21, 2008 - 06:41 PM

:excuseme:

> When your old cam chain slipped, it was because of seizure. The sprocket on the cam that seized slipped because of it and is out of time, even though it says it is.

> You didn't time it right.

• Birdy426

Posted September 21, 2008 - 08:41 PM

I would say timing, too, but if it's right and you've double checked it...
Did you replace the piston and rings this time? I assume the valves bent from contacting the piston...could the piston and/or rings be damaged, causing a lack of compression? Maybe drag from a dicked up small end, big end, or crank bearing? How did they feel when you had the motor apart? Slipping clutch giivng the feeling of being down on power?

• YZERIK

Posted September 21, 2008 - 10:00 PM

The timing is perfect and the cam didnt slip, im positive on this and am too tired to go into details. that being said, the clutch is acting up (ie. engaing itself when lever pulled in ) but it definatly isnt slipping, maybe up top a bit but i doubt it. myself and my father both are under the impression im losing compression somewere. all the bearings / clearences in the bottom end were checked and were perfect. the motor is running like a top and is as tight as a ticks as, just deosnt have the snap it use to pre-rebuild. are next step we figure is to replace the piston and rings, but we are still unsure.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.